Prologue.

Lily remembered the first time she met the Scamander twins. It was a soft summer evening, approaching twilight, and her mum was taking her to her 'Aunt' Luna's house.

Luna always came to the Potters, so Lily was excited. She'd finally get to see what Luna's house looked like on the inside. Maybe it was a gingerbread house, or decorated with beautiful shells like a sand castle or ...

"Lily," Ginny said, amusement colouring her tone. "Luna lives in a ... normal - ish house. Not something out of a muggle fairy tale."

Lily pouted, her dreams ruined, but her excitement remaining. She skipped, pulling Ginny along. "Mummy, hurry up!" She squealed.

There in the middle of a field was a house. A forest was behind it, big, and foreboding, but the house itself was small. A simple cottage, with wind chimes hanging down and emitting twinkling fairy-like music. A few flower bushes, with strange things surrounded the house. Ginny led her along the path, and knocked on the door. Lily stroked the walls, hoping some leftover sweets, or a crumb of cake would fall into her hand, but nothing. Maybe Aunt Luna's house really was normal...

And then the door opened and Luna Scamander stepped out, her curly blonde hair sticking out in all directions, and two carrots hanging down from her earrings. She wore dungarees, paint smeared across them in reds, blues, and greens. Lily wrapped her arms around Luna's legs, the only place she could reach for her height, and and hugged them tightly.

"Lily!" Luna said happily, her voice whimsical and happy, scooping her up, and hugging her close to her neck. Lily giggled softly.

"Why is your house not make of gingerbread?" She asked a little sadly. "I like sweeties."

Luna looked at Ginny in bemusement, who simply shook her head, her eyes promising to tell Luna all about it later. The blonde laughed, and tickled Lily under her chin. "A gingerbread house?" She repeated. "My boys would have us eaten out of house and home - literally!"

Lily's mouth fell open. "Boys?" She repeated, wrinkling her nose. "Eugh boys are yucky!"

Ginny laughed, and the three of them went in, settling in Luna's living room. "Yeah," she said. "Boys; Lorcan and Lysander."

Lily lifted her head, looking around as if she expected the boys to float through the walls. "Where are they?" She asked.

"Ly! Lorc!" Luna called, cupping her hand around her mouth. Lily sat in her godmothers lap, waiting expectantly with her little arms folded.

Then two little boys came shuffling in, identical guilty looks on their faces. Luna narrowed her eyes. She knew they had been up to some kind of mischief, but didn't dare ask. Then the boys eyes slid past their mum, and landed on Lily.

Lily looked at them. They looked back. "Why do they look the same?" She whispered loudly to Ginny.

"They're twins, Lils." Ginny stood up, and went over to the twins, crouching down to their height. "Look at how big you two have gotten!"

Lily slid off Luna's lap to examine the 'twins'. She stood in front of them, looking at them from head to toe. The twins were definitely identical; the same short blond hair, the same grey-blue eyes, the same height... Lily had never seen twins before.

"I'm Lily Luna," Lily said proudly, tilting her head upwards. "And I hate boys!"

"Lily," reprimanded Ginny, a faint smile on her face. Luna rolled her eyes. The twins folded their arms, watching Lily with their grey-blue eyes.

"I'm Lorcan, and he's Lysander and we hate girls," the twins replied, pointing to the twin with the name. There was a bright spark in their eyes, a teasing laugh that said 'got you.' Lily folded her arms, frowning.

"You're lying," Lily said. "Mummy said it's not nice to lie." Lily pointed to the twin who had said he was Lorcan. "You're Lysander," she said, before pointing to the twin who'd said he was Lysander. "And you're Lorcan."

Lorcan and Lysander's smiles fell away, and they turned to look at each other in shock, before looking back at Lily. The red haired girl just stared back at them, her brown eyes narrowed. Then grins spread across Lorcan and Lysander's face, and they grabbed one of Lily's hands each.

"Do you want to go and play?" They said together, and Lily ran off with them, giggling happily.

She never looked back.