Chapter two.

The moon hung high in the sky, shining brightly amongst the darkness. Lily sighed as she glanced up at it.

In the Owlery it had just turned midnight. Lily cooed softly at the sleeping owls, reaching out to stroke a raven coloured birds feathers, when it's head flew up, and its beak slammed down on her finger.

"AH!" Lily yelped, stumbling back from the owl, and rubbing her finger. The beast had drawn blood!

"You really have no common sense, do you?" A familiar voice addressed Lily. She looked up, her eyes landing on Lysander hovering in the doorway.

"I didn't know the owl was gunna bite me!" Lily snapped.

Lysander stepped further into the Owlery and scoffed. "You woke it up, no wonder it attacked! If you woke me up I would attack you too!"

Lily's mouth wobbled, and the longer she maintained eye contact with Lysander the more she wanted to laugh.

"Idiot." He said affectionally.

Lily rolled her eyes, and leaned out of the window once more. "What did you want to talk to me about?"

Lysander's good mood faded, and he turned somber. "Lorcan."

"Is he okay? He looked fine on the train."

"He's been ... distant. All summer." Lysander said, joining Lily at the window and looking out. Lily glanced over at him, raising an eyebrow.

"And?"

"And it's just been odd, Lil," Lysander said. "Usually he loves those sort of holidays — him, mum and dad always enjoy those things. But Lorcan was weird the whole time. He would separate himself for us, claiming to be exploring things on his own, but I knew better. Plus he kept sending letters. So many letters. But when I asked him he said it wasn't any of my business."

Lily frowned. She had been friends with Lorcan and Lysander a long time, and that didn't sound like Lorcan at all.

"Secret boyfriend? Girlfriend?" Lily wondered. Lysander shook his head.

"I confronted him, last day of our holiday, but he told me to stay out of it. And if he was dating someone he would've told me." Lysander stared up at the moon, his face saddened by his brothers moods.

"Would he have though, Ly? We both know Lorc is more secretive than you." Lily said, putting a hand on his arm. Lysander turned to face her, a question in his eyes.

"Well he is quieter than you," Lily shrugged. "Maybe he wants to keep this whole thing quiet. Maybe he's gay, and doesn't want to come out yet. We don't know."

Lysander sighed, running a hand through his hair. "Maybe."

"Don't push him, that's my advice. If you keep asking him about it he's only going to shut up on you." Lily, with her many cousins, had seen a lot of drama in regards to relationships. When Molly had come out as a lesbian it had been on her own terms, and none of her siblings or cousins had forced it out of her. Lucy had found her kissing Amelia O'Neill in the broom cupboard, but she had kept her sisters secret until she was ready.

Lysander fiddled with the buttons on his sleeves and nodded. "Yeah. You're right, Lils."

Lily flipped her hair over her shoulder dramatically, and smiled. "When aren't I?"

"Every other time," Lysander smirked, straightening up. "Right, let's go. I fancy a hot chocolate."

"Hell yeah!" Lily exclaimed, already leading the way to the kitchens. "And don't worry about Lorc. He'll be fine."