Chapter four.

Hugo Weasley was a naturally cautious person. He was a worrier, someone who spent a lot of time in his own head. But he was good at one thing — keeping secrets. He would never blab, even if he was kidnapped and held over a active volcano. Lily trusted him explicitly.

Asking him to spy on Lorcan was an odd request, but he was happy to do it. She had explained everything he needed to know before the twins came into class. Hugo was worried about Lorcan too, he had been distant even with him, his best friend. Something was definitely up. But what? Lorcan never kept secrets from him, they told each other everything.

The whole thing was very strange, but hopefully Hugo would find out some answers. He would channel everything those muggle spy movies had taught him.

After transfiguration it was time for lunch, and Hugo's stomach wouldn't stop rumbling. He sat down opposite Lorcan, and piled his plate high with anything in front of him. Lorcan raised a single eyebrow, and chuckled.

Hugo rolled his eyes playfully. "Aren't you hungry?"

Lorcan glanced down at his empty plate, then shook his head. "Uh, no. I'm not."

"But you didn't eat at breakfast. How are you not starving?"

Lorcan shifted, and avoided Hugo's eyes. "I'm just not."

Hugo stored this incident away to examine at a later time, and didn't push it. "Okay."

The conversation between the two flowed naturally, and for a moment Hugo was convinced Lily had made a mistake. Lorcan seemed fine.

That was until someone flopped down beside Lorcan, and he jumped a foot in the air, whilst simultaneously flinching backwards. The look in his eyes could only be described as intense panic. Lorcan looked like he expected someone to hit him. Hugo narrowed his eyes.

"Easy, Scamander." Chuckled the voice that sat beside Lorcan. It was Jessie O'Donnell, the Gryffindor Quidditch Captain. Lorcan faked a laugh, but the panic in his eyes didn't vanish instantly.

"Hey Jess," Hugo said. "How was your Summer?"

"Fine. I went on holidays with my sister. What about you? Much quidditch training?" Jessie asked.

Hugo shrugged. "A little."

"Good. Tryouts are starting soon, and I expect you both there." Jessie said, looking at Hugo, then at Lorcan.

He wasn't even listening to them. He had that unfocused look in his eyes again.

"Oi, Scamander. Did you hear me?" Jessie waved her hand in front of Lorcan's face, and he blinked.

"Huh?"

Jessie laughed incredulously. "Quidditch tryouts! What is up with you today?"

Lorcan laughed nervously. "Didn't sleep well last night, sorry. I'll be there, obviously."

"Good." Jessie said, rising to her feet. She flashed them both a smile. "See ya."

They both waved.

Hugo turned back to his lunch, his mind whirling. What was up with Lorcan? Usually he was a calm person, hard to ruffle ... very odd. Perhaps he was just stressed with the upcoming exams? Merlin knows Hugo was! But even at that Lorcan rarely worried about exams and he always did well.

"Are you sure you're alright, Lorcan?" Hugo asked again, nudging his friend. Lorcan poured himself some juice but wasn't drinking it. He cast his grey eyes to the ceiling, searching for something that Hugo couldn't see.

"Lor?"

No response, again.

Hugo now felt completely out of his depth. Lorcan and he didn't have heart-to-heart conversations like this and he was feeling a little uncomfortable. Oh, why had he agreed to spy on his friend? This wasn't as fun as he had originally thought it would be.