Hudson's Heart Chapter Eighteen

Wrapped around one another, our complete and sated bodies lie together on the picnic blankets.

We have well and truly crossed the forbidden line. First it was furious and fervent fucking. Then, it was deliberate and sensual lovemaking.

We lie in a quiet, yet meaningful embrace, with no regrets or doubts trying to suffocate the beauty of what has just happened.

"Do you think everyone has their own destiny, Dade?" I quietly ask.

He lavishes my back with featherlight strokes. "I've never really thought about it," he admits, kissing my hair.

I caress his chest, my fingertips playing in amongst his tufts of soft hair. "I know we said we didn't want to do this, but I'm really glad that we did," I say, kissing his shoulder.

"Me, too." His thumb is now doing little stroking patterns on my naked ass.

I can't help but sigh. I'm so deliriously happy. It's a sigh that just brings everything beautifully together. Weaving all of the past two weeks into one, wonderful, sweet memory. I tilt my neck to look into Dade's relaxed and loving eyes. "I will remember this night until the day that I die," I tell him, so completely thankful for all that he's given me.

Dade smiles as he gently rolls me under him. He closes his eyes, kissing my face with the gentlest of kisses. No part of my face is left untouched by his gloriously adoring lips. "I will always remember you, Georgie . . . until my dying breath." His words touch me so deeply that I feel myself succumbing to my overwhelming emotions.

I look at him, my finger lightly tracing the outline of his perfect lips. "You really are the most incredible man I have ever met, Dade Hudson. I believe that there is a someone for everyone in this world. We are all destined to be with one person. I believe that I was meant to come here. I was supposed to meet you. This was supposed to happen. My heart will remain here, even if I'm not . . . please remember that." Dade's eyes look at me with a glassy stare. His expression is accepting, yet sad, regardless of the unsaid understanding that has passed between us. The thoughtful finger that he absentmindedly trails down my arm abruptly comes to a stop. No words are exchanged for what seems like forever, just a lingering gaze that binds us.

"Stay."

I hear his words but they don't actually compute. My eyes nervously dart from side to side. "What did you just say?" I ask with a hard swallow.

"Stay with me," Dade's deep sigh fans my disbelieving face. He looks choked and overwrought with emotion. I blink hard, trying to make sense of his words.

"Did you just say what I think you just said?" I try to remain calm, but Dade senses my panic. He sits up, rubbing his forehead with an agitated hand.

"I want you to stay, Georgie. I didn't plan on asking you, but after tonight, I have to. If I didn't . . . I would always regret it."

I slowly sit up, still not fully aware of the conversation we are suddenly having. "I honestly don't know what to say, Dade."

He desperately grabs me with a just as desperate smile on his face. "Say, yes."

My thoughts have gone into panicked overdrive. "How can I? What will I do? Where will I live?" I know I am babbling; throwing question after question at him from every panicked direction.

Dade's hold on me tightens. "You can live with me. We could live in one of the cabins."

My eyes water up with shocked emotion. "But what about money? I would need to work."

Dade now looks excited. It's as though the more he talks, the more sense he makes, even to himself. "You could work the ranch and help with the guests."