Chapter 3: Fitting In

(Andy's POV)

Mrs. Tonny's class was over in the midst of my struggle to suppress the strong feeling of humiliation. As soon as the bell rang, my classmates abandoned their seats and left the classroom cold and empty.

I didn't try to make acquaintances just yet after I'd badly embarrassed myself during my first class, considering that it was also during my homeroom teacher's lesson. I didn't dare talk to anyone or do anything that would eventually draw more attention from the teacher who I'd just called 'mom'. Otherwise, her worn out glasses would be fixated on me more than I'd ever wish for.

Apparently, that was how another problem arose. Since I met George who was, coincidentally, my class monitor, I didn't think much of how to access my own schedule for the day. Being a sane person, I wouldn't want to be further involved with my blackmailer, much less asking for help, even though I hadn't made any new friend today.

I moved my butt out of my seat and exited the classroom. And just exactly how I thought it would be, people were staring at me while whispering things and giggling to their friends. Yeah, I get it, stare and laugh all you want. Let the new student be your scapegoat for the rest of your senior year . . .

. . . Just kidding.

As if I would let some shit bother me to that extent. It would only be a matter of days until I got the hang of things. Some said it was overconfidence, but I called it having a nerve.

In the middle of my thought processes, a guy of smaller frame bumped into me and apologized.

"Sorry, didn't see you there."

"No worries. I wasn't focusing either," I replied albeit half-heartedly. That was, until he mentioned his knowledge of me.

"Hey, you are Andy, right? The new student from the other class."

Narrowing my eyes, I asked, "Let me guess, it's about what I called Mrs. Tonny, right?"

"You bet!" he confirmed. Placing the back of his palm against his opposite jaw, he leaned closer and said in a whispery tone, "It's quite embarrassing if I have to say so myself!"

I shrugged and lied, "Sorry to say, but I'm too thick-skinned to be bothered." Because admitting to him how I was embarrassed was even more embarrassing.

The guy with light golden hair, almost blonde, had his eyes stretched wide open. "Whoa, really? Dude, I thought it was the death of you, since you're a new student and all." This little @#&$!! But then he smiled. His big grin was innocent and cute, almost enthralling. "Cool."

I found myself dragged into curiosity. There was something about this guy that made me want to dig more into him. "By the way, I haven't known your name." The sudden sense of inquisitiveness was almost as if foreshadowing our relationship development.

"I'm Luke," he said, "Luke Marvins."

In my mind, I was pronouncing his name. A teacher appeared so suddenly and shouted at us to move at a quicker pace to our next classes.

"Let's talk again later, Andy!" He smiled and went off.

My response to him had to wait until lunch break. Although I just wanted to tell him that my best friend had the same surname; Callie Marvins.

The male teacher reminded me of his existence by yelling in my ear. "Why are you still here?" My eyes jumped up and down on his physique. He was a young, tall man in his early thirties at most. I used to befriend some young teachers in my old school to add to my relations and for fun purposes, but this one looked scary as hell. Especially his angry, pointy eyebrows. My teacher-student relationships had mostly been either inappropriately close or based on mutual hatred.