Chapter 14

"Shouldn't this be done somewhere else?" Spain asked. "Like a fancier room or something?"

"What do you want? A cathedral?"

"That would be nice."

"Were doing it in the meeting hall, Andres, and that's that," Italy said.

"What are they talking about?" Launa said to Rose.

Rose bit her lip. She wasn't sure what they were talking about. She was scared, though. She looked to Launa, her eyes bright and shimmering. "I'm scared," she whispered.

Launa took her hand. "It's okay," she said confidently. "Our dads will come to get us."

"You sure?"

Launa nodded. "They'll come to get us. I'm sure of it."

"Everything's ready."

The two looked up as a man came towards them. "Come on, girls. Time to go." The two slid to their feet and were lead to a circle marked on the ground.

-

He recognized the place they landed in all too well. The front hall of the conference building wasn't where he expected to land.

Germany started to speak hesitantly, "This looks like-"

"The conference building," Alan finished.

"The one in Tokyo," Japan said. "Why are we here?"

"The spell was done to take us as close to Alaska, or... Alaskas, as possible," Romania explained. "If we're here, then the girls are here, too."

"Viktor. Alan. What are you doing here?"

Alan looked to the door at the opposite side of the hall. A familiar person coming their way.

"I could ask you the same, Andres."

He stopped a few yards in front of him. His eyes went behind him. "What are they doing here?"

"Answer my question first."

He kept quiet for a moment that stretched into seconds. He looked to Alan before dropping his gaze. "I think you know all too well if you've brought them with you."

"Where is Launa?" Viktor growled.

"I'm afraid I can't tell you that. This is for the best." He looked up. "For you all as well," he said to their opposites.

"What do you mean?" Alfred asked.

"For this to be done, a great sacrifice must be made. The spell called for a sacrifice of innocence and courage. You'll all understand when it is finished. In fact, you won't remember much actually."

"What spell are you talking about?" Romania asked hesitantly.

"I think you know."

"What is he talking about, Romania?" Russia demanded.

"There's a spell, an ancient one written millennia ago. It demanded such a sacrifice to create the perfect universe, a utopia."

"That's not possible," Germany said. "There's no such thing as a perfect world."

"That's why the spell was lost. It was too dangerous."

"Until now," Andres continued.

"What's this sacrifice I keep hearing about?" Alan said.

"I think you know perfectly well."

"Step aside, Andres," Alan said.

"I'm afraid I can't do that."