Chapter 19: Falconpaw

Falconpaw returned to camp feeling edgy and tired. That day had been hectic, with preparations for the oncoming battle.

The SunClan camp was quite busy when he returned. Warriors were still running around and some were waiting at the entrance for a patrol.

Falconpaw noticed Morningdawn, one of the newest warriors, waiting anxiously at the medicine cat den. He frowned - Echospring should have been back hours ago.

Morningdawn spotted him and limped over to the apprentice. "Hi... Falconpaw. I was wondering if you have seen Echospring while you are out."

"No, I haven't," Falconpaw was worried that Morningdawn saw him leaving camp, yet at the time, he felt relieved.

"Oh... tell me when you see her," she sounded embarrassed. "I need help in getting this thorn out of my pad."

"Sure thing," Falconpaw replied, walking off quickly to avoid anymore questions.

When did Echospring go out to collect herbs? Was it sunset or midday? Whatever it is, I can't remember, he shrugged off the thought.

He stared at the elder den, which was dusty and empty, no sign of it being used for moons. If only we had elders.

Streaks of white, translucent-like clouds covered the indigo sky partially as the moon shone along with the stars. Exhausted, Falconpaw crawled to the apprentice den.

Unknowingly, he fell asleep and began to dream.

Darkness was the first thing Falconpaw saw. A spark appeared out of nowhere and lit the forest on fire.

Forest? Falconpaw realised. This is not SunClan territory!

He ran. He didn't know where, but anywhere far from the growing fire was good enough for him.

Falconpaw bumped into a tree. It left a aching pain in his head as he tried to gather his thoughts.

"I'm sorry!" those words were echoing throughout the forest. The pain in those words were enough to stop Falconpaw in his tracks to look for the source of the sorrowful cry.

Suddenly, the fire disappeared, leaving a charred forest. The once lush green forest floor was covered with black soot and remains of grass and other plants.

There was a cat standing away from the burnt forest. Falconpaw narrowed his eyes, wondering who was that cat. Dirt covered their pelt well enough to hide its cover and the air was too thick with ash for Falconpaw to identify them by scent.

He walked forward hesitantly. The cat suddenly turned around, revealing icy blue eyes that was ever so familiar to Falconpaw.

"It's you..." he gasped.

"The invaders will destroy everything in their path for their own ambition, sacrificing even the entire forest if it was necessary," the cat announced in a deep, throaty voice.

Falconpaw stared at the tom, wide eyed as he stared at him and dipped his head. "Goodbye," he mewed solemnly before the dream fadded into darkness.

"I cannot control myself any longer."

~~~~

Falconpaw woke up, letting out a yowl and his heart beating rapidly from the vividness of his dream. He took a shuddering breath, calming down.

His denmates were snoring peacefully beside him, oblivious to Falconpaw's outburst.

Go back to sleep, he thought to himself. You have a rough day tomorrow.

The sound of ragged breathing became louder as Falconpaw tried to go back to sleep. However, curiosity pricked him and he found himself rising to his paws to investigate.

To his surprise, a dirt covered cat was dragging an injured cat into the centre of the camp, breathing heavily. Falconpaw widened his eyes. Is that the cat from my dream?

Before Falconpaw got the chance to confront the cat, they spotted him and ran off faster than Falconpaw had ever seen.

"Wait..." Falconpaw was left talking to the air, but he was convinced that it was the same cat from his dream. As that cat faced him for a few heartbeats, he noticed the cat's ionic icy blue eyes.

Falconpaw was dazed and slightly disappointed. He saw the cat from his dream, but was not able to speak with him. Still immersed in his thoughts, he forgot the wounded cat that the tom dragged in.

Falconpaw only remembered when he thought more about his dream. He rushed to the cat's side, examining them, wondering what to do.

With a jolt of realisation, Falconpaw realised that the injured cat was Echospring.