Chapter 20: Shadowstep

Shadowstep sighed heavily as he rehearsed in his head the words he was going to use later when speaking to his kit.

I was never really there for her, he thought regretfully. Better late than never.

Shadowstep walked out of camp, giving a small nod to Icefang, who was guarding the camp that night.

He waited for Sorrelpaw to return at the portion where him and Sagewish used to use to sneak out of camp.

He knew that Sorrelpaw snunk out of camp without Icefang realising. Unfortunately, he had no idea when or where Sorrelpaw went to.

Shadowstep waited patiently, a skill cultivated from years of experience. The memory only brought back hurt for the experienced warrior. All his apprentice friends were gone within a span of two moons.

It was difficult for Shadowstep to finally focus on his Clan. BrambleClan needed him, especially Flailstar, even if the elderly leader didn't realise it.

Shadowstep pushed the thoughts away as he spotted Sorrelpaw heading towards him unknowingly, half hidden by the darkness.

She spotted him and looked worried. Shadowstep met her gaze with a calm and collected look.

"Come," Shadowstep mewed, flicking his tail for her to follow him.

He led Sorrelpaw to a more secluded spot so that their conversation wouldn't be heard by other cats.

She looked up at him, looking guilty. "StarClan is shining brighter tonight," Shadowstep spoke. He sighed mentally and mewed, "We have much to talk about."

He knew that Sorrelpaw was wondering what he wanted to say to her. As much as he wanted to burst out and pour out what he had wanted to say to her for a long time, he kept his emotions at bay.

"I'll get to the point," Shadowstep mewed quickly. "Where did you go? I don't recall Icefang sending you on a night hunt."

Shadowstep looked at her, waiting for his kit's honest answer.

"I went to the Oaks," Sorrelpaw replied quietly.

"With who?" he asked, waiting expectantly for her reply.

"I... I met three other apprentices from other Clans," Sorrelpaw mewed, sounding anxious.

Shadowstep nodded. "I trust that you are honest with me. Thank you for that."

He took a deep breath. As he told Sorrelpaw about Icefang's history, her eyes were wide and she looked uncertain.

"You think Icefang is untrustworthy?" Sorrelpaw asked quietly.

"Just be careful, okay?" Shadowstep mewed with a sigh.

"To change the subject, I am very proud of you. Though I was doubtful of your abilities, you have proven to be very strong. I hate to admit it, but Icefang taught you well." Shadowstep spoke hurriedly, wondering if Sorrelpaw could detect his change in tone.

He got an excuse for Sorrelpaw to head back to camp. Luckily, she obeyed and was out of sight within heartbeats.

Shadowstep stared in the direction his kit had taken, closing his eyes sadly. I'm sorry.

He headed in the opposite direction, unwilling to look back as it may persuade him to go back on his plan.

Resolved, Shadowstep rushed through the darkened spruce trees, where he was born and raised to become a loyal warrior. The more he thought about it, the more regretful he felt.

He stopped, breathing heavily. The rabbit was where he had left it.

Shadowstep let the rabbit's blood ooze out. It soaked his paws and he grimaced at the cold and unwelcoming feeling of blood.

He left a tuft of his fur near the pool of blood and washed his paws at a half dried puddle. It feels wrong, he hissed to himself. But this is the only way...

After Shadowstep completed his task, he ran off. He couldn't believe that he was actually deserting his Clan, his family, all for answers.

Without hesitation, he jumped over the scent marks that marked BrambleClan's territory.

Shadowstep took one final look at the familiar forest before running off. His thoughts wandered to his past as he ran.

He remembered the Gathering where the four of them met. They talked for a little while before leaving, but that did not end it.

When they became warriors, their relationship still held. One day, one of Shadowstep's closest friend, Vineheart, disappeared.

As much as he wanted to look for the RookClan warrior, the pressing matters of his Clan came first.

It was only a moon later when Whiskershadow vanished as well. Shadowstep was distraught, but hid it, for he did not want to worry Sagewish, who was expecting kits at that time.

Vineheart and Whiskershadow's disappearance was the final straw for their friendship. Stonestrike refused to talk to Shadowstep about the matter and their friendship simply fadded away.

Now, it's time, Shadowstep thought. I will go and find everyone, even if they are dead. I will get answers... that is what friends are for, Stonestrike.

Suddenly, a huge shape landed onto Shadowstep, pinning him down. Shadowstep threw his attacker off and came face to face to the cat.

He stiffened as the cat spoke calmly and slowly, "Well, well, well... who knew the master of shadows would get ambushed so easily?"

The words got caught in Shadowstep's throat. "It's you..."