7

Lunch at the 2nd Mass consisted of different groups flowing in and out from their patrols and such. This cafeteria was smaller, so this week we were all kind of missing out on the homey feel.

Not that I was getting much of a homey feel to begin with. The only person who would talk to me besides Lourdes and Dr. Glass was Ben. Maggie still glowered at me, and Hal couldn't even look me in the eye. I just wish I knew a way out of all this.

As I picked at my bread roll, I took one bite and realized that it was stale. I swatted it away, groaning to myself as I rested my palm on my forehead.

"Hey." I heard a familiar voice say. I looked up to see Ben, who slid in beside me. He rested a hand on my knee, sensing my uneasiness as he gave me a slight smile. On a normal day, I would have smiled back and felt a million times better.

But today was not a normal day.

Lourdes joined us, keeping Ben busy as she ranted on with him about upcoming missions. I simply stirred my food quietly, waiting for the dreadfulness to be over soon. Once I was finished, I didn't even say goodbye to the two of them. Ben sent me a nervous glance, but I was careful not to catch it as I rose from my folding chair, emptying nearly my entire lunch into the trash as I left my tray in the designated area. I could feel the glares from others, not just from the incident, but from wasting my food also. I wanted to turn around and scream at them, scream at them for how insane I was turning because of their impractical shunning skills. Instead, I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, and walked straight out of their glares.

Usually, people didn't gather in the physical church; just the wings on either side of it. I sat in one of the pews, examining the blankets and pillows that few had slept on during the night. I clasped my hands together, lacing my fingers as I prayed.

I'm not sure how long I was in there, but when I opened my eyes I felt unbelievably refreshed. I yawned, exhausted as I started into the hallway and looked to the clock. It was already 6, had I fallen asleep at the pew? I shook my head, blinking many times as I tried to wake myself back up. I can't believe I did that. I groaned at the thought that I had missed dinner, and as I went into the medical center where I was rooming with Lourdes and Dr. Glass, I saw Lourdes with a hot plate of soup waiting for me. I shot her a genuine smile, sitting down at the desk.

"Thanks, Lourdes." I said. I gave her a soft smile and ate the soup graciously.

"No problem. I figured you'd wind up back here sometime, so Captain Weaver agreed to let me take some out for you." she explained.

"Well, still, thanks nonetheless." I gave another smile before continuing to eat the soup.

Once I was finished, I realized how hopelessly exhausted I was. I pulled my pillow and blanket from the cabinet and settled in the corner on the floor, leaning my back against the wall as I closed my eyes and slipped into a very exhausted sleep.

^^^

When I awoke, a grimy sunlight filtered in through the dirt-coated window, riddling through the metallic-like curtains. I sat upright from my dreadfully uncomfortable position on the floor, wincing at my sore muscles. As I looked over, I saw that Lourdes and Dr. Glass must have already awoken. Then I took a look at the clock on the wall, and quickly realized that it was 10 o'clock. This meant that I had missed yet another meal. Groaning, I stood up and folded my blanket neatly, tucking it away along with my pillow.

"Hey." I looked up to see Ben leaning in the doorway, rifle in hand.

"Hey." I sighed, exasperated. "I slept in."