13

Ben and I stood hand in hand with our eyes grazing the rest of Charleston for any response whatsoever to the information we had just shared. Captain Weaver interrupted the tension as he dismissed the citizens. I looked worriedly to Ben as Tom approached us, partially in anger.

"Ben, you should have never gone up there."

"I couldn't leave Fae unprotected, Dad." He spat sourly.

"You weren't the one worried sick, Ben!" Tom shot back.

"You weren't the one to put your life on the line, Dad."

With that, Ben turned sharply on his heel and left the meeting. I gave a longing look to Captain Weaver as he nodded to signal that I was dismissed.

I raced aimlessly through the halls before I stopped right outside the parking garage doors. Ben was standing with his forehead against a concrete pillar, his fist pounded into the stone substance. It crumbled in his fist, and small chunks fell to the ground. I sighed before starting out towards him, my hands stuffed into my back pockets.

Even when I reached a few inches behind him, I just stopped. We both knew I was there, but neither made a move. I hated seeing him like this, vulnerable, on the edge. I finally wrapped my arms around his waist from behind as I rested my head on his back.

"I love you, Ben." I murmured. He finally moved from his clenched position, turning to face me as he set his arms on my waist. I wrapped my arms around his neck, looking into his eyes as I searched for any sign of hope.

All I saw was it being lost.

"I'm sorry you had to see me like this." He muttered. A tear fell from his cheek, and I embraced him. I nuzzled him in the crook of his neck, his collarbone pressing against my chin.

"Like what?" It wasn't as if I hadn't seen him mad before. He had been plenty mad after finding about Hal and I.

"Vulnerable." he replied shamefully.

"Everyone's vulnerable, Ben." I murmured. He pushed me back so he could look into my eyes, and I didn't dare break the contact.

"I'm supposed to protect you, Fae. I'm supposed to be your anchor, keep you safe."

"Ben, all because you're strong doesn't mean you have to be the strongest. I love you vulnerable or not, okay? We're in this together."

"Now let's go back in there, we've got some alien ass to kick."