11

I jumped from the bed, slipping on sweatpants and my jacket, Ben gripping my hand tightly as we headed out. There was a thick tension in the air. I knew he had really wanted to do it, but I just couldn't handle it. I couldn't handle the thought of it right now, not with everything going on. It surely must have been some sort of a release for some people, but not me.

As we fumbled into the cafeteria, I scanned the audience to see the leader standing on the broken escalator steps. His grotesque features became more dominant in the light, and I was deeply surprised that he had chosen to join us again so soon.

"I wish to speak with the girl." the modulator voiced these words to Captain Weaver.

Before Weaver could object, I made my way through the crowd with Ben on my heels. Once I pushed ahead of Hal, I got my footing.

I'll admit that I felt incredibly small compared to this giant. Even if he was on the floor with me, he would be a good two heads taller than me. Of course, he would never come to my level now or in any sense whatsoever. He was a part of an advanced species, and he knew it. Therefore, he would always be above me. Above all of us, including the other aliens.

"What do you want?" I lifted my chin, taking a sort of authority. I could tell the creature was a bit shaken, but also finding this amusing, that such a simplistic species thought themselves equal.

"I would like to speak with you, alone."

"Where?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. I figured it was best to treat him as a normal human being than anything else, or I would gain no respect. Then again, I knew nothing, and that was my assignment.

"I will take you back to the main ship."

"I'll need to bring protection." I could feel my voice tighten.

"You will come alone." It was as if he thought I was in a trance.

"Can I bring one along?"

"Unarmed, yes."

I took a deep breath, ready to crack at how terrifyingly stubborn all aliens were. Of course, I took Ben's hand, feeling Hal's glare at the back of my neck. I worried that things were acting up between us again, but I'm trying my best to leave it be. Maggie would kill me, to be quite honest, and although it's probably not the best, I'm terrified of my best friend.

We followed behind him up the escalator, going through the parking garage into the crisp night air. In the middle of the city was a spaceship larger than the one that Ben had told me of in Boston, and I felt a wave of anxiety rise in my chest. I took a deep breath, and felt Ben squeeze his hand in mine as we joined the alien in a slightly larger ship and rose up into the night sky.

Out the window, I saw the human world fade out much like it did in my nightmares. Advanced light fixtures and crowded aliens towering much like the one we were standing next to replaced skyscrapers and stars in the sky. I swallowed deeply as the door opened, and we stepped out. The aliens crowded around us, and it much resembled them as the humans and us as ants.

I could feel the hatred seeping from their nostrils, and kept my eyes trained on the floor. They had done what they wanted to; I felt small. Ben, on the other hand, held his head high. I couldn't even nearly match his bravery, but soon enough we were alone with the leader again. We sat tentatively, and I looked him in the eye as best as I could without having a mental breakdown, and I put on my poker face.

"Why did we need to be alone?" Ben inquired.

"If you were trying to scare us, it worked." I snapped.

"Jane..." Ben hissed.

"No, it's quite alright. You are quite a petty species, you humans."

"Thanks." I growled.

"Why did we need to be alone?" Ben repeated.

"I figured its best you find out why we're here."

"It would be a great help if we're on the same side."

"I've informed the clan not to harm your species. To be quite honest, we're surprised your species has lasted so long."

"Why is that?" IU defended.

"The human species is a petty one, like I said before. You require incessant victory and crave lust. You feel the need to love more than once."

I felt my gaze travel over to Ben.

"You two are in love, yes?"

I swallowed deeply, blushing.

"Yes, we are." Ben answered with a sigh.

"And based on the past records of this society, you will stop loving her in a very short amount of time."

"Your enemy's invasion has made the human race's love much stronger than you believe it to be."

"I suppose it has..." he pondered as he rose from his seat. "Now, would you like to hear our history with these, "Skitters", as you call them?"

"Yes."

He took a electronic breath in through the modulator, and we were all shaken to the other side of the room as the ship was jolted. Alarms buzzed in the air, and I clung to Ben's jacket.

"Well, we expected a visit from them sooner or later." the alien observed.