Chapter 1

I woke up to the sound of the alarm blaring from the nightstand next to my head. I groaned, flopping my arm in the general direction of the sound until it stopped. I was not nearly ready to get up. However, duties called. I forced my body to move and stretch, trying to wake my limbs. My left hand brushed. against something soft, and I looked towards it. There she was, with her back facing me, her golden hair covering her shoulder like an extra blanket. I knew she had heard the alarm: she always did. She was just pretending to be asleep hoping I wouldn't notice.

As adorable as she was, she couldn't stay in bed all day. She had obligations, as well.

"Emma," I said quietly, gently shaking her arm. She groaned, almost inaudibly.

"It's time to wake up, Emma." I shook her again with a bit more force. She groaned again--much louder and more annoyed--and covered her head with the sheet.

I took on a more stern, reproachful tone. "If you don't get up, Emma, I'm going to have to make you." She didn't move.

"Alright, then." I ripped the covers off of her, exposing her pale body to the world beyond. Immediately she shivered, bringing her legs up to her chest. She laid there for a moment in denial, but finally turned over and opened her eyes drowsily.

"You really are cruel," she said. She yawned, and rubbed her face with her hand.

"You want cruel?" I challenged. "I can give you cruel." Then I pounced, arms outreached, tickling her sides mercilessly. She immediately squealed and tried to escape, thrashing and giggling. I started to laugh triumphantly, when suddenly my body was launched sideways. I landed on my back on the opposite side of the bed with Emma on top of me, straddling me around my abdomen. She immediately reached up and pinned my arms over my head. I wiggled and resisted for a couple of seconds, but quickly gave up: she was quite a bit stronger than me.

"I won," Emma said, a smug smile spreading across her face.

"I'm not so sure," I replied. "After all, I got you up, didn't I?"

"I guess that's true." She chuckled. Then there was an awkward pause; no sound could be heard except that if our heavy breathing.

"So...now that I'm your captive," I said, my lips curling into a playful smile, "what are you going to do with me?"

She grinned eagerly, then lowered her face until her lips brushed against my ear. "I have a couple of ideas," she purred. I shivered in anticipation.

Suddenly, we were interrupted by a knocking on the bedroom door.

"Mom? Mom?" Henry called out. "Can I come in?"

Emma quickly dismounted and leaped out of bed, trying to look busy. "You can come in," I said calmly.

Henry walked in and took in the scene with a puzzled look. "Don't you guys have to work today? Why are you still in bed? It's already...nevermind. Don't even want to know. Just please don't be late, okay?" He walked out, a little more quickly than he normally would. Emma and I looked at each other, and we giggled.

"Well, that was awkward," I remarked.

"Hey!" Emma exclaimed. "At least I tried!"

"I know," I said, laughing. "It was cute, and it almost worked."

In response, she stuck her tongue out at me. She looked like a child, and it was so cute I couldn't help but chuckle. Finally, I got out of bed and started getting ready for work. After browsing a few options in my wardrobe, I decided to go with a burgundy dress that fell just below my knees, with black pantyhose, my favorite black heels, and my long coat.

As I was putting in my earrings, I felt a pair of hands gently wrap themselves around my waist, and Emma gave me a light peck on the cheek. "Are you ready to go?" she asked.

"Just a second...yes. I'm ready."

We started walking to the bus stop, Emma and me holding hands, and Henry with Emma's other arm around his shoulder. I could imagine that we looked like the perfect family at the moment, although maybe not the most conventional. After all, I was technically old enough to be her grandmother.

As we walked down the sidewalk, people smiled and waved. We passed Granny, who was carrying two potted flower plants back to the diner. "Good morning!" she said, doing her best to wave with her hands full.

"Good morning," I replied, waving and grinning from ear to ear. It felt amazing seeing the acceptance in the community. It was not always this pleasant walking through the streets with Emma. Even after we used pixie dust to see if Emma really was my true love, we would still be met with glares every time we were together, or worse. By the time we got married, however, it was much better. Now we hardly see even a dirty look.

The bus arrived right on time to take Henry to school. I straightened up his jacket a bit and kissed his forehead before letting him board. As we watched the bus disappear around the corner, Emma turned and pulled me closer. I looked down at our intertwined fingers, admiring the gold band around her ring finger. That band meant more to me than all the riches in the world; it was a symbol of our love and commitment to each other.

"So...will you be walking me to work today?" I asked, looking up at her hopefully.

"Aw, babe, I wish I could," she said. "I have to go grab the car; it's kind of required for the job. But, if you want, I could give you a ride."

"I think I'm okay. I'm already halfway there, and I need to get my blood pumping, anyways." I started to lean away to go to work. Suddenly I paused, remembering something. "We're still on for lunch today, right?" I asked.

Emma smiled. "Of course," she said, winking at me. Then she turned around and started walking back hike. I just stood there and watched her go, hips swaying side to side. No matter how long I lived with this woman, she continued to mesmerize me. Finally, as she turned the corner, I snapped out of it and turned away to walk to work.