Chapter 10

We took Emma's bug and met David and Mary Margaret at their place as soon as we finished cleaning up the vault. We rode in almost complete silence. Doubtless she was trying to figure out a plan of action, trying to find some way of getting to my mother. I wished I could be that focused. I couldn't plan; my thoughts were consumed by the fear my mother's threat brought me.

About halfway down the road Emma suddenly reached over and grabbed my hand, intertwining her fingers with mine. I was surprised by her sudden move, but it comforted me a great deal. Her hand was soft and warm against mine.

We spent the rest of the car ride like that, just thinking. As soon we arrived at Mary Margaret's place Emma started getting out of the car, but I placed my hand on her leg to hold her back.

"Wait," I said. "Before we go in, I wanted to ask you something." She looked back at me, confused, but settled back into her seat. After a moment I continued. "When you were using the dreamcatcher, and I told you to think of your happiest memory...what did you think about?"

She smiled in understanding and put a hand on my cheek. "Our wedding night," she whispered. Then she leaned in and gave me a quick, light kiss. I could feel the heat flooding into my cheeks as I blushed scarlet . I was so surprised, I couldn't speak. She gave me a mischievous smile, and hopped out of the car. I hung back, still a little shocked. A wide smile spread across my face. Finally, I got out of the car and headed into the building.

As I walked in I could feel everyone's eyes on me. I realized that I was still smiling, which probably wasn't very appropriate, given the situation. I quickly composed myself and sat next to Emma at the table. After a moment of awkward silence, Emma continued filling them in about what we'd just seen. My mind started to wander, worrying about my mother and what she might be doing. I vaguely heard Mary Margaret calmly try to come up with a plan.

Suddenly, Emma slammed her fist on the table, startling me out of my reverie. "I'm tired of this," she declared. "I'm going after her."

"What?" We all exclaimed in unison.

"Emma, are you insane?" I asked incredulously.

"We aren't getting anything done by just sitting here and waiting for her to show up," she said. "I'm going to go, find her, and bring her in."

"No," David asserted. "There is no way that I'm allowing you to go after her head-on. It's too dangerous!"

"I can handle her!" Emma insisted. "Besides, I am an adult; I don't need your permission."

David's face fell a little, even though he was trying to hide it. Mary Margaret put a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"Emma," I said carefully. "I don't think this is a good idea."

"Why not? I have magic, too, and I can take care of myself."

"I know that Emma, but just listen to me," I said. "Your magic is very powerful, but you're still very inexperienced with it. She's been wielding her magic since before I was even born."

"And, what, you think that I can't beat her?" she asked accusingly.

I sighed. "I don't think we should take that risk."

Emma didn't say anything. Slowly, she heard the wisdom in my words and her face softened. "Well, what do you suggest?"

______________

After what seemed like forever, I finally made it to the well. The trees surrounding the clearing were densely packed, making it look like a shadow encasing a ray of light. I rested my back against the cool stone, giving my feet a rest. My heels definitely weren't appropriate for a hike like this. As I sat there I remembered everything that had happened around this well. Between Gold bringing magic to Storybrooke, Emma and Mary Margaret trying to escape my mother, and Henry trying to destroy magic, it had become a major part of our story. It only seemed fitting that I should meet my mother here.

I supposed that it had been long enough. "Mother!" I called out. There was a small part of me that hoped she wouldn't hear me.

"Regina." The low voice behind me startled me. I stood up straight and whirled around. There she was. Her face like the calm just before the storm. Yet, to me it seemed like it was too pleasant, too forced.

"Mother," I greeted with the formality that she had always demanded from me.

"Oh, so now you're speaking to me?" she asked accusingly.

"Please, Mother-"

"What?" she interrupted. "What could you possibly have to say to me? I went through so much to get here, to mend what had been broken between us. And what do I get? Nothing but threats the same insubordination that you always showed me."

"Because you're trying to destroy my happiness again!" I yelled.

"I'm not destroying your happiness, darling," she said. "I'm helping you."

I scoffed. "Every time you say that someone I care about dies."

"I admit, I wasn't the best mother to you, but you have to believe me. This time is different." She sighed. "Please, just let me help you. Let me be the mother I always should have been. Let us start over." She looked at me, pleading with her eyes.

A small smile appeared on my face. "Nothing would make me happier," I said in a low voice. Mother beamed, believing that she'd finally won, but my smile quickly fell, and morphed into determination. "But not if it costs me my wife." I raised my hand, preparing to do something: push her back, shoot a fireball...anything. But  before my arm arrived above my head, my mother had already flicked her wrist and immobilized me. I tried to move, but I was frozen. I tried to fight back, but I was suddenly powerless.

"Did you really think that would work?" she asked, both amused and exasperated. "I'm your mother. I always know best." She chuckled. "What did you expect to accomplish with this?"

I smiled. "I am accomplishing what I meant to."

"Oh? And what was that."

My smile grew wider. "A distraction."

Her face fell as surprise and realization hit her. She spun around to see Emma, who had appeared right behind her. She tried to react, but it was too late. Emma flicked her wrist, and a cuff appeared on Mother's wrist. Immediately, I was freed from my mother's spell. She struggled with the cuff, even though she knew that it was pointless. Without her powers, she was helpless.

Emma stepped up behind her, bringing her hands behind her back and cuffing them. "Cora Mills," she said with sherriff's authority, "you're under arrest."