Chapter 8

Emma and David arrived just as I was retrieving the last of the materials for what we needed to do. As soon as Emma walked around the corner my lips curved into an involuntary smile. Even after all this time, the sight of her still sent a thrill through my entire body.

"So," Emma said, cutting to the chase, "what did you find?"

I reached behind me and grabbed the vial where I'd put my mother's hair, and showed it to them.

"A hair?" David asked incredulously.

"Not just any hair," I said, "my mother's."

"Well, that's very fascinating, but how does that help?" David asked, clearly agitated.

"Hairs are a part of us," I explained. "We shed them all the time, of course, and think nothing of it. But sometimes hair can carry parts of us with them."

"Like what?" Emma asked.

"Memories," I said.

"Well, if that's all we needed, why haven't we used this before?" David challenged.

I sighed. "Two reasons: One, because the hair cannot be plucked off the head, it has to fall off naturally; Two, because it's very rare for someone to lose a hair attached to a person's memory."

"So how do we know that this hair is...attached or whatever?" he asked.

I didn't say anything. Instead, I held the vial up to his eye level and shook it gently. Immediately, the space around the hair began to glow red, and soon the vial looked like it was full of glowing red dust that sparkled in the low light. I looked back up at David with a face that said, See?. David didn't look happy, but didn't question me further.

"Okay, so the hair is magical," said Emma. "How do we use it?"

"Well, I'm not going to," I said, handing the vial to her, "You are."

"Excuse me?"

"My mother has put magical protections around herself, particularly with me," I explained. "I might not be able to make this work. But you? Your magic has stopped her before. I think our best bet is if you do this."

"Um, okay. So...what do I do?"

"Have you ever made a dream catcher?" I asked.

"Uh, once when I was, like, 12."

"Well, if you can make a dream catcher, with her hair woven into it, we might just be able to find out how to defeat her."

"I wouldn't count on my skills in arts and crafts." She shuffled uncomfortably, sticking her hands in her pockets.

"That's okay," I assured her, smiling suggestively. "I can help you."

She looked up at me sharply, surprised by my sudden change in tone. She tried to keep the excitement off her face for her parents' benefit, but I could see right through her.

David, oblivious as usual, just stood there waiting. Thankfully, Mary Margaret wasn't as slow.

"Uh...David, why don't we go grab Henry from school?" she asked.

"It's kinda early, isn't it?" he asked. "And doesn't he take the bus?"

"With Cora on the loose, are you sure that's the best idea?" She started pulling him out of the door.

He sighed. "Yeah, I guess you're right. Then he turned and walked with Mary Margaret out of the vault. As soon as they were out I waved my hand to close the door behind them. Emma and I were alone in the vault.

We sat in silence for a brief moment, just staring at each other. Finally, I crossed the distance between us and kissed her. She hesitated for just a moment, apparently surprised by my sudden advance, but quickly fell into my rhythm and kissed me back. I sat on her lap, straddling her on the chair, and wrapped my arms around her neck. She wrapped her arms around my waist, and let her fingers trail up and down my back, sending shivers down my spine. I hugged her tighter, trying to get her as close to me as possible. I could feel the warmth radiating from her body on my chest, and it made me want her more. As she explored my mouth with her tongue, I thought about how I would never be used to the way she made me feel.

Emma suddenly pulled away slightly, her face less than an inch from mine. She was breathing heavily, excitement in her eyes. But, she knew we had things to do.

"We...we need to do this.." she said breathlessly.

"I know," I replied, not moving. The tension in the room was nearly tangible. Finally, Emma started pushing me off of her. I sighed, getting up to give her space.

She cleared her throat. "So, how do I do this?" she asked.

"The same way you do all magic," I replied. "With your emotions."

"Okay...but how do I make a dream catcher?"

"Your instincts will guide you," I said, pulling up a chair behind hers. I pulled it forward until she was in between my legs, and my body was pressed up against hers. I wrapped my arms around her so my hands were in front of her, and flicked my wrist. The materials we needed appeared in my hand, a couple on the table next to me. "Here." I placed the materials in Emma's hand, "I'll help get you started," I whispered in her ear. I felt her shiver, and I smiled. I began to guide her hands, helping her bend the flexible willow until it made a circle. We tied it off with a piece of thin twine, and cut off the end. As I was helping her, I whispered in her ear, "Now think of your best memory, where you were in absolute bliss." As I finished the last word, I moved the collar of her shirt, exposing the skin beneath, and lowered my head to kiss her shoulder.

"Gina..." she protested, "I can't focus."

"Mmm, but what have I always taught you about magic?" I challenged. "Don't focus on what you're doing, focus on what you're feeling." My kisses trailed across her shoulder and up to her neck. Emma moaned. Finally she couldn't resist anymore and turned to look at me. Our faces were inches away from each other.

After a minute I looked over and smiled. "Emma...look." She turned her head and gasped. In her hands was a beautifully crafted dreamcatcher, with red, black, and white beads adorning it, and red and white feathers hanging from it.

"You did it!" I shouted excitedly.

"I...I did!" she said, surprised.

"I told you so."

She chuckled and elbowed me in the rib.

"Well, now that we've got this done," she said, "let's see what it has to say about Cora."