Chapter 14

This time it took almost no time for the swirling gold to form shapes and colors, and soon a familiar scene was playing itself out, but from a different point of view.

A young girl was walking down the path. She was smiling for no particular reason, except that she was happy just being a part of this world. She couldn't have been more than 14 years old. Her blonde hair was in two braids, each tied with a red bow. She wore a light yellow dress with a few slightly darker patches where the dress had been worn, and her brilliant green eyes shone in the sun.

Suddenly she stopped. On the side of the road was another girl with darker hair huddled behind a wheelbarrow. Her shoulders were shaking, and her face was in her hands. The girl realized that she was crying.

"Hey!" she called out to the crying girl. The girl looked up. Upon seeing another person she immediately started wiping the tears off her face and tried to suck in some the snot that had begun to run. The blonde girl ran towards the wheelbarrow and stopped next to the weeping girl. "Are you okay?" She asked.

"Yeah, I'm okay. Thanks," said the brunette.

"My name's Eleanor," the blonde girl said, stretching her hand out to the crying girl, who still had streams of tears drying on her face.

"Cora," the other girl introduced herself, taking Eleanor's outstretched hand. "Pleasure to meet you." She sniffed and pulled her hand back to wipe her nose on her arm.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Eleanor prodded.

"Yeah, I'm sure," said Cora, fidgeting stiffly.

Eleanor's face suggested looked skeptical, but she didn't question her further. "You're the miller's daughter, aren't you?" she asked. Cora nodded almost imperceptively. "I've seen you around, delivering the flour. It looks rather heavy." Cora merely shrugged in response. This was followed by an awkward silence. "Well," Eleanor said, breaking the silence, "you're delivering this to the baker, right?" Cora nodded again. Eleanor smiled. "I'm the baker's daughter. If you want, I can help you carry that into town."

Cora looked at her in confusion. "But...why? Why would you help me?"

Eleanor shrugged. "Because it's the honorable thing to do. Also, it gives me a chance to get to know you better." She offered Cora her hand. Cora smiled and took it gladly. However, Eleanor pulled a little to hard. Cora yelped and clutched her shoulder as she stood. "Cora what's wron-" Eleanor started. But then the shawl covering Cora fell to the ground, and the dark red lines on her back were exposed. Some of the lines were crovered with dried blood, while some were still bleeding very slowly. Cora hissed through her teeth when the air hit the still-open wounds through her torn dress. "Cora, what happened?!?" Eleanor exclaimed.

"I...I just..." Cora stammered as she scrambled to pick up her shawl and wrap it around herself.

"Who did this to you?" Eleanor demaded. "Was it your father?"

Cora didn't say anything. Her face blushed scarlet and she hung her head. Eleanor's face softened, and she took a step closer. She placed her hand underneath Cora's chin and gently lifted her face until Cora was staring into her eyes.

"Listen to me, Cora," said Eleanor in a low voice. "Whatever your father says, don't you dare feel ashamed about what he's done to you." Cora looked away from Eleanor, still not saying anything. "Hey, look at me," Eleanor insisted. Cora obeyed. "None of this is your fault. Do you understand?" After a moment Cora slowly nodded. "Good. Now, let's get this flour down to my father, shall we? Then we can get you all patched up." Eleanor took the handles of the wheelbarrow in her strong grasp and lifted it with little trouble.