Childish Mindset

Near, that twit. Thinking he could ever be as good as L. That was all Light could think as he restrained himself from laughing. Soon everyone in this warehouse would be dead. Everyone except him of course. He had Mikami positioned outside, and with the shinigami eyes, he could easily see the names of the people inside. It would be an simple job, one that wouldn't require much struggle. And all Light had to do was reject the impulse to laugh.

But his plan ended in failure. And he was about to pay the ultimate price.

3 bullet wounds. He was shot by that useless Matsuda. He ran as fast as he could, with out stopping, ignoring the pain that shot through his leg every step he took. People passed by, as if they didn't notice anything was wrong. Gasping, Light tried to look away.

Sheltering himself in another warehouse, Light rested himself on the stairs. Tears stung in his eyes, threatening to fall. No, he thought, It's not over. The air around him was speckled with dust, and the light that fell from the cracked window illuminated the area. His eyes fluttered open and shut, as if he was trying to stay awake. It's not over.

His body was failing. He couldn't function anymore. His eyes felt so heavy, as if when he closed them he would drift off to nothing but a sound slumber. He refused to lose. But then, his chest felt like it had exploded. Light couldn't take it anymore. His eye lids pulled closed.
"R-Ryuzaki...is that you?" Light questioned weakly at the figure standing before him. It was Ryuzaki. He wore a soft peaceful smile and stretched out his hand towards Light. With all the force he could muster, Light reached towards him. The tears that longed to fall were released.
"I-I'm so sorry Ryuzaki..." He sobbed in a manner that his old self would've called disgusting.
"It'll be alright Light," L said lowering himself to wrap Light in his embrace.
And that was the last thing Light saw before he died.