Without Delay is the Easiest Way

I don't know about you guys, but I have a lot of trouble getting started on a story once I plan it out.

Procrastination is a problem that can apply to anything that you're trying to put off: homework, reading that new book, shaving your head, but it also applies to getting started on your stories.

Heck, I know I get irritated when people don't update for five months, but I can definitely identify with some of them, mostly those who are faced with writer's block.

Writer's block is often the cause of procrastination when you are writing. If you aren't sure how to continue your story, then you obviously are going to put off continuing it.

Writer's Block, for those who don't know, is basically when the battery in your brain dies and you go into a Writing Coma. Don't worry, putting off your story or having Writer's Block doesn't make you a disgrace to the writing community.

You don't deserve to be hung upside-down by your toenails and have your eye poked out with a rusty stick.

Breathe. Here are some things you can do to deal with Writer's Block.

1) Take a break. Stop trying to think for a while and walk away. I've often found that when I do this, I end up coming back with more energy and ideas than ever.

2) Don't think. Writing is writing. It's the one way, at least for me, to take a break from the world and create a new one, one where I can control everyone and everything that happens. Your writing is not going to be 100% if you're worrying about school or friends while doing it.

3) Don't stress over it. Writing should be fun. If you find that writing is a tedious or boring task, you should definitely take a break.

4) Exercise. Seriously. This may seem weird to you, but sometimes I just get up while I'm writing, walk around, and play with my odd little bouncy-ball. It gets the blood flowing, and the brain moving. I think better when I'm moving around.

5) Most importantly, just write. It doesn't necessarily have to be your story. Write about anything. Write about how you just want to shoot your brother in the face, write about the color of your boyfriend's eyes, write about how annoying it is not to be able to write.

Procrastination is a different story. If you're like me and do your homework in the study hall before the class that it's due, we have a problem. (Unless you're getting As on your work)

Some ways to get rid of this evilness that controls our brain and forces us to put off doing what we love most? (Writing, not homework)

1) One Puzzle piece at a time. Don't think of it as having to write a whole story in a month, think of it as having to write one chapter in two days. Focus on getting a small part of your story done, one little bit at a time.

2) Create goals for yourself. I know, I sound like my second grade teacher, but writing down small goals such as "I will develop a realistic character by the end of this week." Actually help. Seeing your thoughts gathered together and written down help to motivate you.

3) Be positive. Don't tell yourself that you're never going to get your story done, because guess what? You never will.

4) Don't think of it as something you're forced to do. If you feel like you have to do something, you feel trapped or coerced into doing it. Think of it as something you want to do. You want to write, don't you?

Procrastination and Writer's Block suck, but we as Wattpadians can work together to overcome it!

(Wow, what a cheesy last sentence.)