It Doesn't Hurt

(Luke's P.O.V.)

And Jai hasn't denied it. Not since the day I had convinced him to step back from the ledge and into my safe arms.

It's been a few months since that scary day, but we've been doing well.

We still miss Uncle Theo, more and more as time goes on and memories are remembered. But we've managed.

My mum's come to more of an understanding about Jai, not treating him like a fragile flower or a thin piece of tissue paper. She began to let him go out and play, let him join our bike rides, and even let him cook a little too.

Things changed. For better and for worse.

Jai was able to live a better life from that dreadful day on.

Though it was short lived.

Somehow over Jai's new blissful, not so overprotective life that was somehow perfect, he fell. He fell and he got a scrape on his knee.

"Scrapes are normal for boys to have." My mother smiled at Jai, trying to ease up on her crazy behavior that was usually displayed when Jai injured himself by mistake. Jai smiled back, wearing the scrape on his knee with pride.

With time it got infected, but he didn't know. None of us did.

When he collapsed in the living room, that's when we knew. Though it was too late.

The infection got into his blood stream and eventually into his heart, becoming impossible for the doctors to treat. He became very weak, very tired, and very confused.

"Why are you crying Luke?" Jai asked me as he laid in the hospital bed.

"You're not okay Jai." I shook my head with tears in my eyes.

"Yes I am." He tried to assure me, but I knew he was wrong.

"You're not Jai! Can't you see you're dying?!" I didn't mean to yell at him, but I did. I was just so upset! So scared!

"It doesn't hurt." He gave me a soft smile.

"I know it doesn't Jai, but it hurts me! You see pain doesn't happen to you, it happens to everyone around you. To everyone watching you suffer, trying to figure out what they can do to stop the pain they know they can't help." I shouted.

"I'm sorry Jai, I didn't mean to raise my voice." I apologized immediately after I saw him flinch.

"It's okay." He said with a light laugh.

"How are you happy and relaxed at a time like this?!" I questioned.

"I'm lighthearted remember? I have no reason to cry. I'm going home soon."

"Jai what do you mean-?"

"I'm going with the rest of the lost boys. Where all the lighthearted lost ones go."

Before I could protests my Jai had flat lined.

Though just like I had promised him, I'll count every second and every breath I take until I get to see him again.

Mark my words.

********

The epilogue that I felt I should publish 💖
Much love everyone!💕