An Almost Happy Ending

A/N Ok, so no this is not the last update. There will be a few more but I think we are almost there. I know I have been very sporadic with my updates and I'm sorry for that but I'm hoping to finish this book before summer ends so you should be getting the last few updates fairly close together. I know that for a lot of books on Wattpad the amount of reads I have is not that impressive but to me it means a lot and I could never have imagined this. So thank you to everyone who bothers to look at this.

Enjoy, AussieSwiss :)

I walked out of the bathroom and headed to my next class while checking my phone. I had an endless stream of messages from Amy asking me what had happened but I felt like it wasn't my story to tell so I simply responded "explain later."

During last period I looked down and realized I also had a message from Natalia asking to meet after school to talk. I was responding when Chris wandered over towards me. I put my phone face down on my desk in fear of him seeing that I was texting Natalia. I guess I felt like my friends would feel betrayed by me cosying up to someone who had become our joint enemy.
"What happened in the cafeteria today? You dragging Natalia away is the new of the school!"
"It's really complicated. Why don't we all talk about it later?" I had started devising a plan to explain to my friends so I wouldn't have to feel as if I was betraying them every time I talked to Natalia. I also had a small secret hope that one day maybe we could all be friends. Which I know sounds like a childish dream but I would much rather have that hope than deal with the bullying.

I approached my locker at the end of the day to see Amy waiting and quickly realised I would have to explain that we couldn't hang out because I was meeting with the one girl who had been our sworn enemy for years. This was going to be interesting.
"Ok its later, you have to explain" she started off with as soon as I was within earshot
"Look Amy, I really want to but I have to do something right now. I already talked to Chris and I think we should all hang later and then we can talk about everything"
"What's so urgent that you have to do right now?" She snapped and I could sense a hint of anger in her voice.
"I just have to meet someone. Please don't be mad. I just need a few hours, later I promise ok?" I looked intently at her waiting for her seal of approval.
"Ok" she agreed begrudgingly. And with that I hurried off to meet Natalia.

I walked into my house with Natalia trailing behind me and glancing around at everything with a look of nostalgia on her face. When we went into the kitchen my mum looked up and her face lit up with joy. She all but ran over to Natalia and wrapped her in a hug. After her initial shock, Natalia entwined her arms around my mother. For a second I thought I saw her eyes grow hazy with tears but it disappeared quickly.
"I'm so happy you're here. It's been too long! I've really missed you! Your so gorgeous now look at you! How have you been?" I rolled my eyes at her behaving like a grandma who hasn't seen their grandchild in years.
"I'm doing well thank you, Mrs Fairweather" she responded politely.
"Oh my gosh no! Call me Chrissy! Now I just made brownies, why don't you girls take some and go do whatever you were going to!" Trust my mother to make Natalia feel welcome while also giving us space. She was so brilliant sometimes. We walked over to take some brownies and I heard Natalia whisper something that was barely audible.
"I used to love you mums brownies" and just like that it felt like we were 8 years old again running around, eating brownies and playing games. We ended up talking for a few hours about light hearted things like the teachers we hated and also the heavier stuff like the years of bullying. By the end of it all was forgiven between us but that didn't mean that my friends would feel the same. I had invited them over to hang and Natalia agreed to share as much of her story as she felt necessary to earn their forgiveness. Now that she had let her guard down she couldn't block out the guilt she felt for her years of terrorizing. One person can only hide behind hatred for so long.
Chris and River had arrived and we were all sitting awkwardly in the basement waiting for Amy to arrive so Natalia could start to explain. Amy messaged saying she was going to be pretty late because she had to stay home and finish a family dinner. We decided to start without her and Natalia gave a very basic story before apologizing for everything. River forgave her first since he had only known her a short while. Chris took a bit longer to come around due to the years of on and off relationships and mind games. At one point he turned to me and smiled
"If Lila can forgive you then I don't see why I can't."

Of course everything wasn't magically solved and we weren't best friends all of a sudden. But we got along without anger or hatred even if there was a few awkward moments. We were actually beginning to have a great time when Amy came down to see us all laughing together. She stopped dead and locked her eyes on mine. My smile dropped and I stood up to go towards her but something in her eyes made me stop.
"So are you all friends now then?" She asked in a quiet but venomous voice.
"Amy, come sit down and let us explain"
"There is nothing any of you could say that would make me understand" and with that she turned and left. I chased her upstairs but she had vanished before I could catch up.