Natalia

I chose an especially cute outfit today, even if River doesn’t talk to me I should try to make an effort. I was wearing my light wash jeans with my black ankle boots and a white floral top. I felt like people were looking at me not because I was looking good but because I was trying really hard which was unusual. I turned the corner to head down the corridor towards my locker and all of my hopes and confidence deflated. As I suspected River was standing near his locker talking to Natalia, the most popular girl in school, whom every guy was chasing after. I honestly didn’t understand why she was popular; she wasn’t really hot and kind of looked like a mouse to me. Her body was average, pretty much like mine and she definitely was not a good person. Just last week we had been sitting next to each other in English when she turned to me.

“I need a pencil” she stated, it probably would have killed her to actually ask and include a please in there.

“Sorry, I don’t have any extras” I reply, trying to remaining polite

“This will do” She said while plucking the pencil I was holding out of my hand and giving me big, fake smile.

“But I need that” I exclaimed, she glared at me with eyes that forewarned danger, like a dog’s growl.

“Well I guess you will have to ask for one” she rolled her eyes like I was being stupid and then turned away from me. I was furious but would never do anything to show it, so instead I raised my hand and asked for a pencil. As the teacher walked over she said,

“You really should be more prepared like Natalia” You have got to be kidding me! That’s another thing, all of the teachers adore her, I work my ass off in class and she just kind of shows up and sweet-talks the teacher. I would tell on her but that would only make things worse, I definitely didn’t want to be the tattletale who got her in trouble and face even more of the wrath of the popular girls. I lowered my head and apologised for being unprepared and thanked her for the pencil.

And now she was shamelessly flirting with River, I could hear her forced laugh from the other end of the hallway and see her hand feeling his muscles. The worst thing was that River seemed totally into it, laughing along and smiling at her.  Why do all the hot guys have to be popular jerks? I blocked them out and continued walking towards my locker; I shut it, possibly with a bit too much force, before turning to walk away. A hand grabbed my arm and I turned to see River’s concerned green eyes staring down at me.

“Are you ok?” he asked and from the corner of my eye I saw Natalia with a horrified look on her face glaring at me.

“Yeah, I’m fine” I mutter bluntly

“I was just worried about your locker, I don’t know what it did for you to be so pissed at it.” I giggled remembering how I slammed it shut. At this Natalia turned, flipping her long brown hair and strutting away right by River who didn’t even lift his eyes to glance at her.

“Sorry, rough morning” I sort of lied, he nodded his head and I remembered it was his first day; his morning was probably much more difficult than mine. I was being really selfish and dramatic so I focused on him, not that that was very hard.

“Is that your schedule? Do you need anymore help?” I smile and ask as I go to take the schedule. He hands it over and I mentally compare it to mine. Dang! My smile falls, we don’t have a single class together, but he must be pretty smart as I take in the higher-level class of pretty much every subject.

“We have nothing together” I try not to sound too disappointed as I hand his schedule back

“Seriously!? That sucks” He seemed really upset, which was a first for me and all I wanted to do was try and cheer him up.

“We have longish breaks between classes so I’ll see you here sometimes” I motion to our lockers and he smiles at me, seemingly relieved. I inform him about where his classes are and who the teachers are and before I know it the bell rings.  I wave goodbye to River,

“ See you in 50” he says (that’s the length of our classes) As I walk off I remember I was supposed to meet Amy and make sure she was ok. So I just text her and apologise instead before walking off to class.

I found myself counting the minutes to the end of class even more than usual, excited to see River. When I get to my locker I see Natalia with him again. Did she put a tracker on him or something? She’s leaning against my locker trying to get his attention as River focuses on changing his books. She’s trying so hard and failing and it brings a smirk to my face.

“Excuse me Natalia” I motion for my locker so she’ll get the message.

“Why?” She responds, trying to act innocent. River glances up at this and I try to stop the situation from escalating and probably ending in a very embarrassing way for me.

“Please, I just need to grab some books” I sigh

“Why?” She repeated, Oh my gosh what is she a freaking toddler?! Why is she being overly bitchy today? Is she jealous of River and me? Speaking of River he stood up suddenly and is glaring at Natalia.

“Just move away and let Lila get to her locker… please” he commands. No one, well besides Amy who can get a bit feisty, has ever stood for me. Natalia eyes widen in shock and she stares from me to River and back. She’s probably never been asked so rudely to move, especially because of me. She recovers quickly and flashes a smile at River while sliding to the side and positioning herself in front of River, wedged between him and the locker. I shake my head at her desperate attempt and open my locker.

“Oh River I’m so sorry, I was confused I didn’t know that was her locker” She apologises innocently and I roll my eyes at how fake she is. Who would ever buy that? Well, apparently River does,

“It’s fine, thanks for moving, let’s get to our next class” Really? Our? Do they own that class? I thought he was too smart to fall for that; apparently he’s not so different after all.