Part 18 | Friday, 2nd October

I see Evy walking into her class as I grab my binder and stationery out of my locker. A hot pang of guilt makes me want to stop her, ask her what's wrong and apologize. I take a big breath and start walking towards her.

Suddenly, a hand connects with my back forcefully, shoving me forward. My binder flies out of my grasp and skitters across the floor as I lose balance. Luckily, I stop myself from falling face-first in the middle of the hallway. Unluckily, I look like a deranged ostrich as I flail my arms and struggle to stay upright.

The sound of pure evil echoes right behind me. I turn to find Greasy Bitch and her entourage cackling like Disney movie witches (sans ridiculous outfits and problematic skin).

A hand lands on my shoulder. I turn to find Dylan Frost, holding my binder and pens in his hands.

"Are you all right?" he asks, peering down at me with concern.

"I am now," I nod, a smile edging my lips.

"Aw, look," Greasy drawls, flipping her blonde hair over her shoulder. "Two losers in love."

"Let's just go," I tell Dylan, grabbing his hand as the girls burst into giggles.

But Greasy's voice stops me dead in my tracks when she shouts, "Why don't you do the world a favor and kill yourselves?"

"That's it," I muttered, dropping Dylan's hand. "She's asking for it."

Greasy is too surprised to protest when I grab her by the forearm and drag her towards the girls' bathroom. It's only when I lock the door that she starts to object.

"What the fuck are you doing, you skank?" she huffs, rubbing her reddened forearm.

I pull my phone out of my pocket, open the photo of her and hold it up in front of her face.

"You see this?" I demand, shoving the screen closer to her.

Her eyes almost pop out of their sockets as realization dawns.

"Wh-Where did you . . . ?" she gasps, making a wild grab for my phone.

"Go ahead and delete it," I say coolly. "It's not the only copy I have."

"I-I'm going to ruin you!" she shrieks furiously.

Puffed cheeks, hateful eyes and wrinkled nose. Suddenly, Gracie Fitch is neither pretty on the inside nor out.

"Au contraire, bitch," I say, dropping my hand on her shoulder. "If you ever say anything like that to my boyfriend or anyone else, this picture is going all over the internet. You've made life hell for so many girls and boys here. What do you think will happen when everyone sees this?"

A surprised yelp emanates from her throat, her fingers shaking as they grip my phone tighter.

"Some people deserve a second chance," I say, narrowing my eyes at her. "I thought you did, too. Until you said that to Dylan. So, the next time you want to be awful to someone, think long and hard about it, okay?"

She nods, muttering unintelligibly. I grab my phone out of her hands.

"Good," I smile, unlocking the bathroom door. "Nice chatting with you. See you later!"

I feel a jittery sense of bravery as I walk out of the bathroom, as though I've just saved the world.

"What was that all about?" Dylan asks, catching up with me. "Are you okay?"

I grin at him. "I'm T—Rex-iffic!"

***

"Hey, Evy," I call as I spot her walking out of class. "Wait!"

"Hey," she says warily, trying to smooth her messy curls with one hand.

I cut straight to the chase. "I owe you an apology. Obviously, you're not okay. And I've been awful. I'm really sorry. I'm here for you if you still want me to be your friend."

To my relief, Evy's features soften as she pulls me aside. "My parents are getting divorced. Apparently, my mom's been cheating on my dad for almost a year."

"Oh, Evy, I'm so sorry," I say, grasping her hands in mine. "How are you holding up?"

"Not very well," she admits, shaking her head. "It's like, they want me to pick a side now, and I can't."

"God, I'm really sorry," I sigh, lowering my head to meet her hooded eyes.

"Thank you, Amber," she smiles as we walk towards our lockers. "I . . . missed you. I have a lot to tell you. It's about Parker."

"Ooh," I squeal, wiggling my eyebrows. "So, the quest was successful."

"Yeah," she beams, ducking her head. "And hey, I saw the way you and Dylan were looking at each other in class. Don't think I didn't notice."

It's my turn to blush.

"Do you want to come over to my place later today?" I ask, walking alongside her to the French class.

A weight in my chest lifts when Evy nods and grins at me.

"Is six okay?"

"It's perfect."

***

"Dylan?"

He opens his eyes and pulls out his earphones. "Yeah?"

"I'm so sorry for what I did," I say, raising my voice to be heard over the howling wind. "I'm sorry I hurt you."

A stray lock of my hair falls out of my loose ponytail. Dylan catches it and tucks it behind my ear.

"I don't want you to be sorry about anything," he smiles. "I just want you to be with me."

Warmth creeps into my body as our lips press together in a soft, slow kiss.

"I promise," I whisper. "Will you promise me something?"

"Anything."

"I never, ever want you to feel the way you felt when you first came here. I want you to get better. Promise me you'll get help."

"For you," Dylan confirms, linking his fingers through mine. "I promise."

I smile and plug my earphones back in, allowing the song to play.

Everything is different than it was when I found Dylan Frost in the lighthouse on Friday, two weeks ago. When I look at him now — eyes closed, soft smile, the breeze ruffling his cappuccino hair — I realize that I had been wrong.

Because change?

It's not so bad after all.