Fourth Step, Or, Something Wicked This Way Comes [2]

The Hales come away from the debriefing with, honestly, not much of a plan.

Stiles is skeptical that absolutely no one will notice in change in Laura and Derek's behavior at their respective schools, but hey, he's not in charge here, he's just along for the ride.

Speaking of along for the ride, he's currently in the Hale van going back to Deaton's clinic. With Mr. Hale and Mrs. Hale shoved into the front seat. How did he end up here? That – that is one for the books.

(As soon as the debriefing is over, Mr. Hale corners him in the midst of everyone else cleaning up from having pizza.

"You are an Alpha. Correct?"

"Not a—"

"You have Alpha characteristics," Mr. Hale interrupts. "And you just came into them. Correct?"

Stiles has the distinct feeling he's walking into a trap. "...Right."

"Do you have an anchor yet? Something to keep your Alpha from raging out of control and biting everyone you come across, possibly killing and/or turning them as you go?"

Stiles's mouth hangs open, but nothing comes out.

Mr. Hale's eyebrows are very pointed. As is the look accompanying them.)

So now they're walking into Deaton's clinic, about to discuss how to keep Stiles from becoming a mass murderer. Or the Alpha of a pack he's clearly, oh God so clearly, not ready to handle the responsibilities of. (Like Older Derek. Just the comparison is enough to make him cringe.)

Anyway, that's what they're there to do. Great. Just want he wanted to do with his day.

"Oh, hi, Mr. Hale." Veda's expression changes from Stiles-induced annoyance to calm professionalism in the space of a blink. "Dr. Deaton will be right with you. If you'll just take a seat?"

Stiles looks around at the half-full waiting room and considers Veda again. "'Right with' us, eh?"

Veda doesn't bother to answer. Rude.

They've hardly planted their butts into their chairs, though, when Reina chirps Mr. Hale's name. Stiles looks at the rest of the people in the waiting room as they head up, but none of them seem to be angry that the Hales have been called up first before them.

Lies and calumny.

Deaton is waiting in the exam room, his eyebrows going up briefly when he notices Stiles file in after Mr. and Mrs. Hale.

"David, Janet. And Stiles. Interesting to see you all together," Deaton observes.

"Interesting to see us all not trying to kill each other, you mean," Stiles snarks.

Deaton just quirks an eyebrow, while Mr. Hale closes his eyes, clearly one hundred percent done. Mrs. Hale, on the other hand, is hiding a grin behind her hand, though the crinkling of her eyes gives her away.

"What can I do for you, David?" Deaton says, pointedly turning the conversation back to the matter at hand. "I assume this isn't a social call."

"You're right, it isn't." Mr. Hale straightens. "I have two things for you. One is that Kate Argent has officially been spotted in town. My son, Derek, and Stiles," he nods to Stiles, who salutes Deaton with a two-fingered wave, "had a run-in with her outside of the library."

"I tried to get her scent and see where she could be going, but the trail ended not far from the library," Mrs. Hale puts in.

"Where did it end?" Deaton asks, looking mildly concerned. In Deaton speak, that's like DEFCON One or something like that.