Deep Sleep

I was cruising  through the outskirts of town in my beat up '93 Chevy truck, windows down, listening to "Mayday". As I headed down the steep hill, I noticed Gale's black Hyundai Sonata parked on the side of the road. I slowed down, pulled over, and parked beside it. I knew exactly where Gale was, in the woods hiding in our secret spot, an old willow tree. I hopped out of my truck, slipped on my boots, locked the truck, and headed into the woods. After I started my way in, I heard the familiar  whistle that made me feel safe whenever I was around him. People have always told me that Gale and I would get married, that we were perfect for each other. But I have a different opinion.

                 Finally I made my way to the willow tree, which sits in the middle of the forrest and at the edge of a hill, beside a mango tree. At the edge of the hill sits two logs for Gale and I to have long conversations, but also the edge of the hill is the spot where we have our lunches almost everyday. I whistled to announce that it was just me, and sat down at the base of the willow tree. Gale came around the tree and tossed me a juicy, ripe mango.

"I thought you were working?" I asked Gale. Gale works at the animal sanctuary in the city that we are forced to call home.

"And I thought you were going to spend the day with that city boy of yours?" Gale spits back before taking a bite out of the mango in his hand and sitting down beside me.

"He supposed to call when he gets off work." I said.

"Ahhh..." Gale dramatically replies, and smiles his crooked smile that I love.

I laughed. Gales always knew when I needed I pick me up. I met his soft gray eyes and asked,   "Why aren't you at work?"

"I got off work early. They had to shut down the sanctuary because one of the Tigers got out."

I take another bite out of the mango and asked, "I thought you wanted an up close experience with tigers? That would have been the perfect time!"

"Well, I thought about it but-" Gale started to say but was interrupted by my phone ringing. I ignored it.

"Aren't you going to answer that?" Gale ask, going impatient.

"No, it's probably just a toll free or wrong number. So... Why didn't you let the tiger chase you back into its part of the sanctuary?" I smiled. I just love the relationship that Gale and I have.

I think to myself: Maybe everyone is right about us, how we would make such a great couple.