Wide Awake

As I sped through the streets, trying to get to the spot where I normally park my truck to head to the woods, "Mayday" continues to play. Peeta sits silently in the passenger seat, looking out the window. Finally I here him take a deep breath in and turns to me and says,

"how long?"

"How long what?" I answer back to him, still with tears streaming down my face

"How long have you two been meeting up the woods doing god knows what?"

"he's my best friend. I've known him for all my life. We hang out and have lunch together and just talk. That's all we do. Why are you so worried about this if you said we were over?"

"I never said that we were over!! I just-" Peeta begins to yell but I cut him off.

"Yes you did!!! You said that Gale was worth more to me than you and that was it!!! You cut me off, said fine, got mad, and then climbed in the truck with me. I just assumed that it was over." I said as I look for the side street that will lead to the dirt road which I normally take to get to the spot where Gale and I normally park our cars.

"Okay, well that still doesn't mean anything!! You were just simply stringing Gale and me along, seeing how far you could've gotten with us before one of us found out." Peeta said.

"THAT'S NOT IT!!! Gale is my best friend!! I don't think I could've gotten through school without him there for me. And I really do love you. But the thought of something bad happening to Gale, is heartbreaking..." I choke out as another round of tears swell up.

"Wow... You know when you say it like that, makes me just wanna break down and cry with you too. BUT IM NOT BUYING IT!!!" Peeta screams before hitting the truck door with his fist.

"I guess this is it then..." I say as the second round of tears begin to fall.

"I guess so." Peeta says with a standoffish tone in his voice.

As I continue to speed down the windy hill, I finally find the turn off and slow down just enough to turn but then come back to full speed, dust flying all around.

Finally in the distant I see Gale's car parked in his normal spot. I quickly whip my truck in between his car and prim's car. I throw the truck in park and pull the keys out. I open the door and hit the ground at a running speed. Peeta also got out of the truck went around to my side and closed my door before he sprinted behind me. I didn't care. I sprinted faster and faster trying to get the the willow tree. As I passed the mango tree, heading towards the willow tree, I began to see a trail of blood, starting at the mango tree. I slowed down just a hair when I saw the trail growing larger. I followed the trail until it ended at the willow tree, where Gale's body lied. I dropped to the ground beside Gale. He was barely breathing. His clothes were ripped to pieces and covered in blood. His breath was labored, and his chest was covered with deep, open cuts. His face was unrecognizable with his eyes swollen and lips cut open. He was covered in his own blood, and Prim – brave and so strong- was already working on trying to clean him up. I gently picked up his head and placed it in my lap. I kept soothing him- telling him he was going to be alright. I stared into his deep, yet soft, gray eyes, with tears in mine. I hear Peeta stop running when he saw the trail of blood and even stopped when he saw me with Gale. He walked up and sat on Gale's left side, as Prim was on the right. He asked what had happened to which Prim responded:
"I don't know exactly. All I know is that I got a call from him telling me to come quick and to call Katniss as well. When I arrived he was semiconscious and kept repeating to me that the bear was still around. I've been here for about 30 minutes now and I haven't heard or seen a bear. But he's badly hurt. I've already called my mom to come and see if we can get him to the hospital, but she didn't pick up. I've been trying to get these deep cuts under control; there so deep, I'm surprised they didn't punctured more organs than they did."

"which organ did the bear get?' I looked up and asked Prim.

"right Lung" Prim says.

"will he be alright?" I asked, becoming worried.

At that moment, Gale began to go into convulsions, because he couldn't breathe. I tried to calm him down as best as I could, but in between gasp, he manage to tell me that he always loved me. I smiled down at him and brushed the hair out of his swollen eyes. At this Peeta got up and walked towards the edge of the hill where Gale and I would have our lunches. I then hear him on the phone with his mother, trying to get her and his dad to come and see if they can help us get Gale up and make it to the hospital. I just tried to keep Gale calm; between the convulsions and winces of pain from Prim trying to sew up the deep cut that got his lung. Then Peeta came back over and asked Prim what he could do. Prim told him to start working on the less severe cuts along his chest and on his neck.
After two hours, Prim finally got the deep cut under control. She then got up and walked over to me and whispered in my ear, "I don't think he's going to make it without going to the hospital."

I began to cry again and looked down at Gale again. He look at me in the eyes and made out the words I Love You. I began to cry harder and Peeta got up and look down at us as I gave Gale a kiss on the lips, telling him I loved him back.

Then......