Another Day Without You - Kyuhyun X Sungmin

Pairing: KyuMin
Rating: PG - 13
Genre: Angst

Sungmin.....mianhae....

The rain fell like bullets onto Sungmin's face. It was that day again. It's been two years since then. The day that changed his life. He walked aimlessly through the streets, not thinking of anything in particular either. Sungmin didn't watch where he walked and people passed by, finding him drunk and delirious when he occasionally bumped into them. He swayed as he moved towards the center of town where a large fountain was located.
He sat at the edge and held his head in his hands. A heavy feeling filled his chest and it constricted him. He felt pathetic, worthless, and of all things, alone. Tears wielded up in his eyes as bits of old memories invaded his mind.

Flashback

"Sungmin, we'll always be friends right?" the young ten year old boy asked him.
"Of course! Why wouldn't we be?" Sungmin replied.
"Promise?"
"Promise!" They locked pinkies and shook hands.

End Flashback

The rain seemed to increase when another memory followed the last.

Flashback

They were seventeen now and it was a bright and clear. Sungmin had waited under a row of trees on the path he took home everyday. He had found a small note in his locker earlier that instructed him to wait there.
"Sungmin?" a figure appeared from behind one of the trees.
"Oh hey!" he looked at the note again. He could recognize that handwriting anywhere. He smiled warmly at his friend.
"Were you the one who put this in my locker?" His friend shyly nodded his head.
"Well what is it?" Sungmin asked him.
"I...I like you Sungmin hyung! W-will you go out with me?" he stuttered.
"I thought you'd never ask!" Sungmin sheepishly replied. Sungmin was well aware of how his friend felt about him. He just never had the guts to ask his best friend if it was actually true. Finally, the day came and of course Sungmin would say yes. After all, the feeling was mutual.
Sungmin walked over to his new boyfriend and kissed him on the lips. Surprised, his friend slowly returned it.

End Flashback

Another memory intruded on him, not giving Sungmin any time to think.

Flashback

They laid under the starry night sky on the rooftop of their school. Sungmin was laying in his boyfriend's arms, pointing out the constellations he could find.
"Get up for a second? I have something for you." Reluctantly, Sungmin got off and sat across from him. His boyfriend reached into his pocket and pulled out two couple rings.
"This one's for you." He put the smaller of the two rings on Sungmin's ring finger. Sungmin took the other ring and slipped is on the latter's hand.
"I love you always and forever Sungmin. I wouldn't know what to do without you." He said and put his forehead against Sungmin's.
"I love you too." Sungmin murmured before he closed the small gap between their mouths.

End Flashback

Sungmin's eyes widened in fear when he realized what the last memory would be. He squeezed his eyes shut and shook his head to prevent it from taking over his thoughts. But it invaded anyway and filled his mind of the last vague memory.

Flashback

"Sungmin wait! It's not what you thought it was!" He ran after the sobbing Sungmin. Sungmin shifted into a sprint when he heard the other get closer to him. Earlier, Sungmin had caught his "supposed" boyfriend get down on his knee, and proposing to one of his so-called-friends, Zhou Mi.
"How could you? I trusted you!" Sungmin shouted behind him.
"Let me explain Sungmin! Please!" He continued chasing after him down the street. Sungmin didn't even bother to slow down.
"You explained enough to me! I don't want to hear it!" Sungmin fumed. Blinded by his tears, he hadn't seen the incoming car heading towards him. Before he knew it, he blacked out.
Hours later, his consciousness came back and he looked at his surroundings. He was in a hospital room and was hooked onto an IV. He sat up straight and groaned when his head throbbed in pain.
"So you're finally awake?" Sungmin looked up to a doctor.
"What happened?" Sungmin asked.
"You were found blacked out during a car accident. You're very lucky to have survived with only a few scratches." the doctor replied.
"Was anyone else hurt?" Sungmin finally realizing the absence of his "boyfriend". The room grew silent and Sungmin felt uneasy.
"There was one fatality. He was the one saved you by pushing you out of the way in time." the doctor shook his head sadly. Sungmin's eyes widened in shook. No....It can't be..... Could it have been....?
The doctor sighed. "You'll be released tomorrow." He began to walk away but quickly remembered something.
"Ah, wait." He came back to Sungmin. He pulled out a folded note from his chest pocket.
"This is for you. Even in his dying breath, he was able to write this. He told me to give it to you no matter what." He then handed Sungmin an envelope with something inside of it. He soon left to give Sungmin time to himself. Sungmin unfolded the note and automatically, the tear drops rolled down his face.

To my dearest Sungmin,

Are you alright? I heard you'd be fine. I'm glad I could protect you and fulfill my deed as your boyfriend. I'm sorry about what I did to you earlier. You didn't let me explain, so I'll say it here. I love you more than anyone in the world, you should know that! I would never cheat on you. When you saw me "proposing" to Zhou Mi, you ran away without letting me explain. I asked him to help me practice because I was so nervous to tell you. The only person I would marry, would be you. I wanted to be with you forever, to hold you close, and finally claim you as my own. I wanted to find a decent job, move away with you, and build a family we could call our own. But by the time you read this, I won't be around anymore. Don't sulk over me when you read this okay? I want you to move on and live a happier life than when you were with me. Sungmin mianhae, for everything up until now. Mianhae for leaving you alone. Mianhae for not being a better boyfriend to you. I love you forever Sungmin, and will always be watching over you.
Love your one and only,
Cho Kyuhyun

End Flashback

Sungmin fell to his knees and hands as he cried uncontrollably. The memories continued to replay over and over again. Every touch, kiss, and moment he and Kyuhyun shared rushed back to him. He hated it. The guilt that he carried on his shoulders became heavier.
"Kyuhyun!" Sungmin wailed towards the grey sky.
"Come back to me, please! Kyuhyun!" He continued to shout, tears and rain drenching his face. He wasted hours calling out to Kyuhyun, draining all of his energy. He laid on the cold floor, shaking violently as he cried.
Tired, he stopped his pointless efforts and stood up. He shuffled towards a busy street and saw an incoming car. Losing the last bits of sanity he held, he quickly ran in front of it, clutching the ring Kyuhyun had encased in the envelope. The car slammed into him and pain shot through his entire body. His vision blurred, but he was able to make out the blood that now pooled around him. He grew drowsy and static rang in his ears.
Finally, he thought, I can be with him. With a final sigh, he softly smiled and closed his eyes for the last time, being freed into the other world without any regrets.