Chapter Eighteen: Talks, Traps and Tricks

"So why are you avoiding Pepe el?" Larry asked, as Ben turned left

"So why are you avoiding Pepe el?" Larry asked, as Ben turned left. "He's been bothering me all day, and I'm guessing it's because he can't get through to you. Wait... you don't owe him any money do you?"

"I can't talk while I'm on the road," Ben said in a rush, not looking at his father. "It'll distract me from driving and it'll also risk both of our lives, and I really don't want to risk our lives just for Pepe el."

Larry sighed. "It's going to take us what? Another hour to get back to the office? You've got plenty of time to tell me what's going on. You know... I've heard that children discuss their innermost feelings and worries with their parents. Now we don't have to go that far but you could at least tell me what's going on in your life. I haven't seen you in weeks."

Ben did not make eye contact with his father. He didn't particularly want to tell Larry about Pepe el, because Larry would want to start a gossip session with Ben and whilst Ben did kind of hate Pepe el right then, he didn't want to start badmouthing his ex-best friend to his father. Ben also kind of figured that if he didn't confront his problems out loud and in the presence of another person, he could ignore said problems.

"Pepe el and I are fine," Ben said quietly. "Everyone has small fights. It'll all blow over in the end."

Larry didn't believe Ben but didn't want to push his son to speak either. If he pushed too hard, Ben might have fallen out of the car and then nobody would be steering and Larry would most likely die. He was only turning fifty five at the end of the year, so he was definitely too young to die he thought.

"And have you spoken to your mother?" Larry asked. "She called me a couple of times while I was away, and asked about you. She said you hadn't been answering her calls and that she was getting worried. Now, whilst I definitely don't believe she was pining away for you - no offence, son - I do think you should maybe just talk to her a little bit-"

"No!"

"Just hear me out," Larry pleaded. "You haven't spoken to your mother - and your brother and sister for that matter - in over five years, and that's pretty sad. Even I talk to Wren and Hen occasionally and they seem a lot more grown up than they did five years ago. Did you know Hen went to university to study hair and beauty? And Wren got a job as a mechanic in Berkton. I think he's working his way up so that he can become the owner one day. And your mother seems a lot calmer, though not completely sane, and maybe she realises that she shouldn't have treated you the way that she did. You don't want to be without your family forever, do you Ben?"

"I wouldn't mind," Ben said. "And why are you sticking up for mum so much anyway? You're always telling people how annoying and demanding and expensive she used to be."

"Used to be," Larry repeated. "I think she's changed. I don't know if she's changed because I haven't see her, but I will. You will too and maybe we'll sort out all our differences and-"