Chapter 3: The Silk Purse

I stepped into the doorway and was greeted by the hungry and filthy faces of Daniel, Ben, Prowler, and some of the younger boys in the dormitory. I walked forward and laid the bag of apples on a small table and beckoned the boys to take some.

"Hey, who's hungry?"

As soon as I said that, the rest of my friends came out and grabbed an apple that James had some how recovered.

"Hey, Half Pint" said Daniel "Not making any trouble in town eh?"

I grinned "Not me" he grinned back.

"You know, I think we should sneak into the theater tonight for the old man Shakespeare's play. We'll surely find some nice pockets to pick full of money" said Ben, joining the conversation.

Maybe I can finally see what everyone in town had been talking about I thought. The Shakespeare plays. "Surely! I hear they're doing Much Ado about Nothing "replied Daniel.

I wondered what it was about. "When are we going?" asked Prowler. He always went out early to scout before they did any pick-pocketing so we called him Prowler

"In two hours, the show starts at 11:00" said Ben.

The thought of seeing this strange new playwright, William Shakespeare's intrigued me. I thought about it in my mind, could I go? They might make me stay behind to take care of the younger ones. I have always wanted to go to the theater and see one of those beautiful ladies, dressed up in fancy clothes. The ladies with their hair pinned high and jewels on their necks. Their beautiful eyes looking through a pair of elegant spectacles. How I wish I lived among them. I wouldn't have to disguise who I truly was. I had fooled all who laid eyes on my dirt caked face. No one knew who I really was. Except the Orphanage and James. I was Elizabeth or Lizz. A girl with no parents or family except Better Boys who had taken me in as a baby. Who knew, maybe I really had a mother like those beautiful ladies at the theater. I sometimes thought of prancing around in elegant clothing instead of my tattered street clothes, living a life of comfort and no worries, with a family that loved me. Maybe I could even act in the plays myself with James. I shook my head, wearing those tight perfect clothes. I'd be a misfit, but with the boys I felt myself, I could slouch if I wanted. But still, there had to be more to my life than stealing and living in fear of being caught. I wish I could become an actor. (There are no actresses during this time, women on stage was simply taboo.) A new life. I made up my mind, I was going to see that play! I asked Daniel if I could go.

He replied "Just don't do anything foolish like this morning"

How did he know? Daniel saw my confusion. "You know we wouldn't leave you outside by yourself for more than a few minutes. We thought we'd better follow you in case you got into trouble, and we were right."

I shot him a look of annoyance. "I can take care of myself."

Trying to make me feel better, he said, "We know.That's why we didn't interrupt your lovely chat with them Coppers." He grinned his goofiest grin. The older boys like Daniel and Ben were always watching out for me.

I guess it was a good thing but it made me mad. I was still the runt to them. But it seemed they hadn't found out about James or must have thought he was just another boy that had been caught. I decided to take a short nap for a few minutes until the time was ready. I curled up on the floor by the fire that had been lit while I was gone. I went off into a deep sleep dreaming of a copper chasing after me.

An hour later, Kyle shook me awake. "Come on sleepy head!"

It took me a minute to realize that I was going to the theater to see a play by William Shakespeare himself in an hour! So much to do! I had always admired his serious yet smiling face in all the posters around town. He looked like he'd rather continue writing than getting a portrait and having to stand still for hours, while an artist tried his best in painting him.