Chapter 3

A/n

Hey guys, thanks again for the AMAZING feedback!! I didn't expect this story to get too many reads so your support feels great! Thank you so much for sticking with this fanfic, and taking time out of you're day to encourage me, it means a lot! Here's chapter 3, hope you enjoy!!!!

Mare's POV

     "I had this cage made specially for you," Maven's voice sends a chill down my spine, "The silent stone was freshly made too. Do you know how silent stone is made Mare?"
    "What do you want?" I ask blatantly, not in the mood to speak with him.
     "I suppose that means you don't. Silent stone is made out of the blood of silencers. The silent stone surrounding the walls of your cell is made from the blood of a silencer who was recently killed," a small smile plays across his lips as he watches realization wash over my face.
     Arven. I'd been the reason behind his death in the arena while he was silencing my powers to keep me from fighting to my fullest. I'm not sorry for what I did. Though the fact that I'm caged in his blood disgusts me.
    "Is that all you came here for?" I snap.
    "Watch your tone Mare. I'm here to take you out of your cage for a while," he sneers, retrieving a chain of keys from his pocket. He fumbles with it until he finds the right one, jamming the little golden key into the lock. Once inside my cell, Maven unlatches my chains from the walls, handing them all to the sentinels, save for my leash.
     "Where are we going?" I ask.
     "Don't ask questions," Maven growls, leading me up the stairs.
     We take a path of familiar twists and turns and I realize it's the one I took when I arrived at the castle. We're headed to the entrance. But why?
     I hear the cheering crowd two halls from our destination. They must be really excited for what's to come. Which means there's something really bad in store for me.
I keep my head down as we get closer to the people. I can't face their hateful stares, their eyes burning me alive. They think I'm a monster, they despise my existence. They think that I'm the reason their former king is dead.
The people become the least of my worries when I see the white marble table stationed at the center of the platform. Maven seems to notice my horror.
"You're going to be an example to other newblood rebels. You're going to show them what happens to anyone who defies me. You're screams are going to haunt their dreams," he hisses into my ear.
     My stomach drops as the sentinels grab my arms and lay me on the table. Anxiety numbs me during Maven's speech to the audience, my mind too blank to register his words.
    The torture starts suddenly, powerfully, sending my whole body on fire. No, not fire. Electricity. It floods through my body at an overwhelming voltage, higher even than my first encounter with the clicker. I urge to twitch and squirm but my iron chains don't allow it. I scream, beg, and plead uselessly. My whole body hurts, every bone, every nerve. The whole world is an endless stretch of white. All I can hear is that same repetitive click. Through all the pain a single thought claws its way into my half-conscious mind- Thomas. A possible weakness against the monster named Maven.
"Thomas," I whimper, unsure whether my voice is audible or not, "For him. Stop. Please."
My words seem to have the desired affect. The clicker stops and Maven delivers a short closing speech to his applauding audience.
I'm drenched in sweat, my arms and legs bloody from struggling against the chains. My body tingles with the ghost of the torture and my bones feel frail. My senses feel slurred, my mind an aching mess.
Maven orders his sentinels to take my back to my prison. I feel strong arms grab me and place me upright. I fall the instant my feet touch the ground, the world fading into blackness.

______________________

I wake on a soft bed, a warm pillow caressing my head. The room is small and my bed is the only thing in it aside from a small window and a side table. I don't have time to enjoy the luxury of the bed; sentinels pour into the room. Their strong hands grab me, force me onto my feet, and pull me by my leash.  My brain feels too fuzzy to function and I have no idea where we're going until I see the staircase that leads to my cell. The sentinels attach my chains to the walls again and leave as they had the time before.
     "Happy Birthday Mare," Maven's voice echoes off the walls of the cell, "I was starting to worry you wouldn't wake in time to celebrate. I told you we'd be together for your special day. But that's beside the point. I'm here to give you your gift."
     "Save yourself the effort. I want nothing from you," I snap.
     "I'm sure you'll take that back when you find out what it is," Maven assures.
     "I've had enough surprises from you for a lifetime, I don't want any more," I respond.
     "You're tongue's still sharper than a knife," Maven continues, "I'm starting to rethink my generosity towards you."
     "I don't care."
     "Oh but you will when I tell you it's about those children I sent to the trenches," Maven smirks, watching my head zip towards him.
"What? What about them?" I ask, my voice panic stricken.
  "I ordered them back from the trenches." Maven says. For a moment I'm happy, relieved. But then I remember I'm talking to a man who lies more than he breathes.
"I don't believe you," I say flatly.
"But there's more. In exchange for the safety of those kids, you will do something for me," Maven continues.
"Tell me. I'll do anything," I plead. I can't begin to guess what Maven could possibly want from me, but I'll do whatever it takes to ensure the safety of those red children.
His next words are like rain on a cloudless day, so unexpected I pinch myself to make sure I'm not dreaming.
"Marry me."

__________________
So that was chapter 3 :) I hope you liked it!! Sorry it's kind of short. The next chapter should be up by next weak (anytime from Monday-Wednesday). Thanks for reading!! <3