Chapter 6

Due to my lack of time management and exemplary procrastination skills, this chapter is extremely late and I am so so sorry. I know I don't deserve to be forgiven, but I want you all to know that I am sincerely sorry, and hope that you might be able to accept my apology. I'm starting to get my life back together and will (hopefully) be able to write more often and get chapters written faster than I wrote this one. The feedback I received on Chapter 5 is unbelievable, I am so overwhelmed- THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!! I hope you all continue to enjoy me work. <3

Cal's POV

My arms shake, my muscles protesting to give in, to let go, to run the sword through him. I'm loosing control, I can't hold her off much longer. She whispers into my head again and my body limply follows her command. Before I can take in the impact of what I've done, the world changes around me. I'm falling, falling, falling, but I'm not alone. I'm looking into a pair of horrified brown eyes- Mare's eyes. She clings to me and I her, our eyes screaming what our mouths can't say. We keep ascending, coming closer and closer to our doom. But I don't get the chance to reach the bottom as everything around me dissolves and something new replaces it.  Metal twists and bends around me, keeping me in place. In front of me, Mare walks into the train, following Maven, a horde of what used to be my sentinels surrounding them. I struggle against the shifting metal, pulling, pushing, doing anything to get out, to save her. She turns, just for a second, to spare me a final glance before the train door is sealed, a barrier between us. The scene fades out around me, another forming where it used to be. I've never been here before. I'm in a blindingly white room, empty save for a marble table at the center. On the table, lays Mare, her eyes wide in what seems like anticipation and fear. She senses my presence and turns her head to face me, a tiny string of hope waking in her tired eyes. But then a tremor runs through her body and screams erupt from her hoarse throat. She's being tortured. Instinct puts me in motion and I run to her- and slam right into an invisible wall halfway. I try to summon my fire, but it won't work; silent stone. I run across the room, searching for any fault, any hole in the barrier. I try running into the barrier with my full body force, hoping to break it. I punch, kick, and shove. Nothing- nothing works. Her screams continue to pierce the otherwise silent room, but they're starting to become slower, arousing a panic in my chest. I have to find a way, I have to help her, I have to end her pain. I'm running out of time, the rise and fall of her chest is slowing; she's struggling to breathe, she's starting to die. I frantically pound against the invisible wall in a last ditch effort to save her. But I'm too late, the invisible barrier comes down just as she heaves her last breath. My legs go weak beneath me and I slump to the floor, unaware of my surroundings, of what I do, of anything. All I see is the last rise and fall of her chest, over and over.

Wake up! There's news, get up!" Rough hands shake me awake and it takes me a minute to completely absorb my surroundings. It was just a dream, she's fine, it was just a dream. I run a hand through my sweat drenched hair and look up at Kilorn. He watches me with understanding eyes, not questioning me about the dreams he probably also has. We've outgrown our differences, finding no reason to continue fighting when we're both each others best hope for rescuing Mare.
"You almost burned the whole place down," he grunted, wiping a sweat from his brow.
"I'm sorry," I huffed, still recovering from the horrifying nightmare, "You said there was news?"
Kilorn nodded, avoiding eye contact. So it was bad news- again. I'm not sure I can bear watching another torture scene play out, not with the dream still repeating itself in my head.
Without another word, we walk out of my barrack and start walking the now too familiar trek to the propaganda room.
Anxiety bubbles in my chest, my mind coming up with a hundred things Maven might have done to her to get to me.
"It's not torture or death," Kilorn informs, noticing my unease. A small relief rushes through me, but then a new question starts to form. What else could he have done that he felt was important enough for me to see?
We reach the same old rusted metal door of the propaganda room, just as someone inside swings it open. The girl from New town- Cameron- struts out, rolling her eyes as they fall on me.
"Oh, you're not going to like this princeling," she taunts.
"Go to hell," Kilorn scoffs and shoves past her into the room.
Farley and a few others are already there, some looking tentatively at me as if afraid I might explode. I can't exactly blame them, I've been loosing control on my powers since I lost her.
I walk past them to get a better look at the scene playing on the old screen. Maven stands in the center of the castle entrance, delivering a speech to his people; to what should be my people. Sentinels are visible all around him, but Mare is nowhere to be seen. I step a little closer to make out the words pouring from his mouth.
"... I understand that you all see her as a wild, deceitful, and savage girl, but I once loved her more than anything and I was blinded by that love. I was young, and still had a lot to learn. I know this is a lot, if not too much to ask of you, but I must anyway, request you to accept Mare Barrow as my fiancé and our unborn child as your future crown prince or princess."
The words hit me like a slap to the face. Unborn child? It was impossible, it can't be true.
"CAL!" Farley shouts across the room, "keep the temperature down."
I can't find the will to respond as the impact of his words coarse through me.
"Bit of a shocker isn't it?" Kilorn says from beside me, staring at the old T.V, "I didn't think it was true either, until I saw what happened next."
On the screen, Maven starts to speak again, having given everyone time to process his words. "I know that some of you are thinking that there are other ways around this and that this isn't entirely necessary, and you are absolutely correct. But this was a well thought decision, that I realized wouldn't just benefit my child, but also my country. This alliance can help secure a much needed peace with the rebelling reds, preventing any future attacks; ultimately saving more lives. As for whether Mare can be trusted or not, she has sworn for the convenience of our child and her own changed heart that she will not commit any more offenses against our people. She will still be guarded, though not as harshly and I will see to it that if she breaks her promise, the necessary measures will be taken to ensure that she is executed upon the birth of my offspring.  That being said, my fiancé would like to take a minute to present a short speech she has prepared for you."
Behind him the door swings open, revealing Mare. She's a wearing a beautiful midnight blue gown, sprinkled with sparkling jewels. She has on some light make up; his hasty attempt to hide the hunger and despair he's been keeping her in. She's smiling, but it doesn't reach her eyes. She almost seems uncomfortable. Maven walks up to her and kisses her hand, making sure the diamond ring gleaming on her index finger doesn't go unnoticed. They're already engaged. A ravenous flame comes to life inside me and I don't know how to tame it. It takes every bit of self control in me not to disintigrate the T.V into ashes. He walks her closer to their audience and watches her expectantly. She takes the cue and begins speaking.

"My beloved people of Norta, before I address anything else, I would like to seek your forgiveness. I am aware that this is a lot to ask of you and that several of you do not wish to see me as your queen, but this new turn of events has shown me that my actions these past few months have been complete foolishness. You're king is kind enough to embrace me despite all my childishness and it has made me realize the generosity of my silver brothers and sisters. I would like to thank you for everything you have given me and hope that you can pass off my previous actions as an act of immaturity. I look forward to being you're first red queen and making this already great world an even better environment for you alongside your benevolent king."

He fed her those words. She would never say that. Ever. Unless she was forced.

She's about to link arms with Maven, when she bends over and pukes all over the white marble entrance. I don't get the chance to see what happens next as the little screen bursts into flames.

I hope ya'll enjoyed the chapter! The next one will be in Mare's POV. Thanks for reading!