Chapter 5

Hey guys! Thank you for all you're support so far! It really does a lot to keep me pumped and I really appreciate it. Thank you all for being patient for each of the chapters and giving me your suggestions and feedback, they've been really helpful. Here's the next chapter. Enjoy!

Mare's POV

Marry him. "Why?" my voice is hardly louder than a whisper.

"There is only one thing in this world that my brother cares about, only one reason left to live for. I don't think I need to tell you what- or who rather- that is."

"You've already ripped him of everything- his throne, his father, the love of his people. His nights are lost to nightmares about you and your mother. He was never cruel to you, he cared about you. He didn't do anything to you to deserve this."

He clenches his jaw and his voice comes out harsh," When you were betrothed to me, when you were supposed to be mine, he took you from me, stealing you away for kisses in the moonlight. You were the only thing I had that he didn't and he took that away too. I'm going to do the same to him."

"I'm not a thing to be passed around or taken. I make choices for myself, and I chose to kiss him back that night."

He continues as if I'd never spoken, "I'm going to show him what it feels like to loose everything to your brother. I'm going to show him what jealousy really feels like. I'm going to take away the last, most precious thing he has. And you're going to play along."

"So you're doing this all out of jealousy? You're going to waste your entire life away with me out of jealousy? "Disgusting.

"There is no one else I would rather spend my time with. No one who would give me the same fruits as I'd get if I marry you at least," he adds, "So Mare, do you accept my offer or shall I gather another batch of red children?"

One life for five thousand. My choice is clear, obvious. Slowly, I nod my head, tears of frustration welling in my eyes.

"Wonderful, we'll announce our wedding this evening. Till then, my maids will make you presentable."

"When?" I try to keep my voice even.

"When what?"

"When do we get married?"

"Five weeks."

He turns to leave but I stop him, a small, stupid attempt to at least postpone the announcement and possibly even the marriage to follow, "What are you going to tell your people?"

A sly smile tugs at his lips and whatever hope I have is extinguished, "You'll find out when I see fit."

His smile is enough to tell me that I'm not going to like whatever excuse he made up.

The young girl tugs the last loose strand of my hair into place, declares I'm ready and stalks out of the room. I stare at the reflection in front of me, hardly recognizing what I see.

I'm wearing a beautiful strapless midnight blue gown, twinkling jewels entwining the lace of the bottom half. The silver tips of my hair are hidden in an elegant folded bun, my face bedecked in neutral colored makeup.

The collar and shackles are gone, but I'm still weighed down by silent stone. It's embedded in the layers of gold and silver decorating my chocker, which is locked from the back, concealed by my low hanging bun.