Chapter Two

Hey Guys. Thank you so much for reading.  Please don't forget to vote comment and share.

Thank you.

_________;

• • •

The fresh crisp air rolled in the next  morning. Showering it's presence across the hallways and down the corridors of the bustling castle, that roared with life, unlike last night.

Yet somehow, the greetings of the new morning felt far beyond reach for a new beginning. Especially, considering the annual ball was always held on the last day of winter, just before the new year took place.

As much as our world refused to associate themselves with the celebrations humans carried out, there were parts of their festivities that we acknowledged and celebrated together. Especially after the King had announced we were moving forward with the course of the world, and that meant adapting a few new changes. Although, if honesty was to prevail. The annual ball has been a celebration around for decades now. It was as old as the moon.

The cold chill rushed down my spine. Diminishing the thoughts crowding my mind. Somehow, ever since I've stepped inside the castle, nearly three days ago. I've been doing a lot of thinking-- and Josh being the self-proclaimed comedian that he was. Insisted I shouldn't think too much, that it would hurt my little brains.

Shaking the thought away, my gaze flickered on towards the willow tree at the centre of the lengthy courtyard outside. Which still surprisingly had patches of green grass. The tree shook violently against the sudden wind that greeted her roots and branches.

I watched the few frostbites that had developed across the land of green. My chest swelled with happiness knowing there would be snow too, and rumour has it. The kingdom of Veyara had it's traditions when snow fell on the last day of winter.

Camp-fires and hot chocolate with roasted marshmallows were some of the top priorities on my list this year. Let's just hope the King's speech ended early.

I couldn't help but feel my eyes travel across the highest peak of the mountain. The borderline between Veyara and the war zone, as they called it. The land beyond the mountain was forbidden for everyone but the royal army and troops that fought valiantly on the other end with a 'common enemy' as King Zander named it-- but even I know, there was much more to the land beyond the mountains than the King let on.

I had once tried asking Josh, who simply ignored me and insisted I was way over myself for listening to wild theories, so instead. I didn't pester him too much, knowing he either didn't know about it, or he was forced by an oath to never speak. The oath of secrecy was one of the most powerful tool the kingdom had. It was bind over blood and anyone that broke it were either killed or exiled beyond the mountain. Thus, being the main reason I didn't bother my brother as much.

Wrapping my arms around myself. My gaze focused onto the sea of trees beyond the courtyard. A chill suddenly rushed down my spine and the thoughts that once swirled in my mind halted. The more I looked towards the pine trees, the quieter the world around me became.

Holding onto my breath, I could feel the blood rush to my ears, drumming against it. Placing my palm flat on the glass, I ignored the rush of chill down my flesh, and suddenly. My stomach twisted sharply, for  I could have sworn I saw movement in the forest. It was as though, through the thick forest, remained dark eyes staring straight in to my soul. Waiting for the right moment. Waiting for--