Chapter 5

Needless to say, I didn't make it to Peyton's house that night. I called her with an excuse of Tony making me stay late at the tower, but she scoffed and hung up without saying goodbye. The Avengers wouldn't let me walk home alone, so I had to stay overnight. I called my mom with the same excuse I gave Peyton, and she agreed to let me stay but said I had to be home tomorrow for school.

Natasha had been quizzing me for the past hour about what the person looked like, but I couldn't remember. It was almost like the person didn't have any distinct features at all, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were more that looked just like the person who nearly kidnapped me. I told all of that to Natasha, and she just sighed and sent me to my room. I fell asleep uneasily that night, dreaming of my almost kidnapper.

_____

I woke up at 6:00 AM, rushing into the kitchen to grab breakfast. I had to leave for school early since the tower was farther away, and I rejected Tony's idea to drive me.

"I'm fine, Tony, I can walk a few blocks in broad daylight without getting murdered." I argued, picking up my backpack and walking towards the elevator.

"Please, Cassie? Fury would get pissed if something else happened-" I whirled around and cut him off.

"I'm not completely defenseless." I ground my teeth together. "I'll see you for training." And with that I left, shutting the doors quickly so he couldn't follow. I leaned against the walls of the elevator, sighing heavily. I was still freaked out from the events of last night, but I didn't want to give the Avengers even more of a chance to baby me- I was the youngest, a girl, and inexperienced. The doors opened and I walked outside, sticking on the more populated roads just to be safe. Of course with my luck, that didn't work.

"You were lucky last night, Cassidy Reynolds." The same voice hissed in my ear. I froze as I was pulled out of the flow of people, but when I tried to kick out it was too late. I smelt chloroform on the rag the person had shoved to my face, and then everything went black.

_______

I woke up again, but this time I was in a dark room on a hard surface. My head was pounding and I nearly fell over as I tried to stand up, my legs not working properly.

"Finally, you're awake." Someone said quietly. I jumped and fell over, grunting when my hip slammed into the ground. "I expected a bit more when the Doubles said they were bringing in an Avenger."

"I- what?" I pressed a hand to my head and sat up slowly, trying to make out whoever was talking. "Where am I? W-who are you?"

The person scoffed. "You're in hell basically." I could barely make out the figure of someone walking towards me, and I scrambled to stand up again. "I'm  Lilith, you'll find out why they gave me that name soon enough." To say I was confused was an understatement.

"Why am I here? I-I need to get back!" I walked towards the only source of light in the room, which was the cracks of what I assumed to be a door.

"You're here because the higher ups sent Doubles to grab you." Lilith explained. "And you can't go back, not until you're dead or you somehow escape which hasn't happened in... Ever?" I jolted away from the door, trying to control my breathing so I wouldn't have another panic attack. "If you're gonna have an anxiety attack like the last one, you're not gonna last long in this hellhole."

"T-then stop t-talking," I muttered, digging my nails into my shaking hands. I took a few deep breaths; in for five, hold for seven, out for four, then felt calm enough to sit back down on the bed.