Chapter 5 - Good Evening Mrs Bouchard

*Chapter Five – Good Evening Mrs Bouchard*

The minute he got to the end of Veronica’s street Christian hit the accelerator since he was desperate to get home and research the mysterious woman that was Veronica Reed and what she knew about his kind. But before he did that he needed to ditch the convertible that he was driving since he didn’t want Veronica or anyone else to realise that it was stolen from the now deceased Sebastian Reed. Christian decided to drive back to where he had left the body, and once he arrived he quickly lifted the body out of the ditch which was located a little bit further out from the road and placed it in the car before using his super-human strength to crash the car into a tree to make it look like Sebastian had lost control of his car and ended up crashing into the tree where he died instantly from a broken neck caused by the impact of the collision.

After the scene was set Christian breathed deeply before beginning to run down the road towards the Bouchard Boarding house where he lived. ‘Eat your heart out Ferrari’ Christian smirked as he arrived at his front door within five minutes of running.

Something stopped him in his tracks as he walked into the house. The scent of Pure Poison by Dior flooded his nostrils ‘who’s there?’ but the only reply that came was a whooshing sound followed by a small giggle. Christian’s eyes darted over the entire room, ‘who’s there?’ and if in response his Blackberry buzzed in his pocket with an incoming text ‘honey, I’m home x’ but before Christian could say a word a sculptured goddess of a woman with spiralling blond hair emerged from the shadows with her trademark harlot red lipstick framing a smirk that was gradually appearing on her beautiful face. Christian’s face dropped as he saw the woman he hadn’t laid eyes on for more than 300 years as she stood before him, ‘well aren’t you going to say hello to your wife?’ she asked in her rich seductive voice.

(EastEnders Credits Music)

Christian stared at her in utter shock ‘what are you doing here Angelique? You’re supposed to be dead… I killed you myself’ Angelique glided up to him and draped her arms around his neck ‘darling I’m a witch. I don’t just die, you know there’s only one thing that can kill me. Anyway we exchanged blood frequently so obviously when you killed me I’d come back’ her teeth and lips grazed his cheek leaving a harlot streak of lipstick on his high, sculptured cheekbones. Christian yanked her arms from around his neck and pushed her away from him before wiping away the lipstick from his face; ‘how dare you touch me after what you did to me’ Angelique began to slowly pace the room as the anger coursed through her veins ‘excuse me? You committed adultery and suddenly I’m the evil one?’ ‘Yes I committed adultery but you committed murder. I think you’ll find that’s a lot worse’ he spat to which Angelique giggled ‘how many people have you killed Christian? 1? 20? 1000? I noticed this evening that you got incredibly sloppy and were very nearly found out when you let that young girl’s body fall off the bonfire. How careless of you.’ She smirked folding her arm over her chest.

‘How do you know about that?’ Christian continued to stare at her before composing himself ‘anyway that’s not relevant Angelique, you know it’s in my nature, have you ever heard of a vampire that hasn’t killed a single soul? No. I kill because I have to, to survive. You just killed Elizabeth because I loved her and you couldn’t stand the thought of me being happy’ the memory of that night came rushing back to haunt him. ‘Darling, I did it to protect you’ Angelique tenderly placed her hands on either side of his face and looked into his eyes. ‘Why are you here Angelique? What do you want?’ his exasperation clear as he collapsed into the armchair by the fire, Angelique sat on the arm of the chair ‘well since you weren’t answering any of my calls and you deliberately put yourself in danger by ignoring my text this evening I figured that I ought to make my presence known before you do end up killing yourself…again’ she tenderly stroked his hair while gazing at his familiar face which looked so peaceful since his eyes were closed due to the relaxing head massage she was giving him.

Realisation hit Christian like a tonne of bricks, he sat up knocking Angelique off in the process causing her to stumble to her feet ‘so it was you who’s been ringing and texting me; how in the world did you get my number?... actually how in the world did you manage to find me?’ ‘Christian, you’re my husband I’d do anything to keep you safe. Besides I know a lot of people and being a witch comes in helpful once in a while’ she smiled as she walked around to the back of the chair and began massaging his shoulders.

Anger surged through Christian as he shoved Angelique’s hands away from him ‘I am not your husband Angelique! I haven’t been your husband for over 300 years. The day you killed Elizabeth was the day we ended, ‘death do us part’ well guess what darling you’re dead! So I’m free to go after whoever I wish, and at the moment that consists of a pretty little blonde who just happens to be the doppelganger of Elizabeth. I should have drove a stake through your heart but that would have been pointless since you don’t have a heart!’ he grabbed Angelique by the throat and pinning her against the wall beside the fireplace whilst holding a glass jar full of toxic Larkspur flowers in front of her chest, but before either of them could say another word Angelique manipulated the jar into slamming into Christian’s own chest. He fell to the floor in agonising pain as the Larkspur ate away at his skin.

‘You were already a vampire when we got married so that statement doesn’t count for anything, I am still Lady Bouchard as you are Lord. As there are no records anymore of our marriage we cannot file for a divorce; and as for Miss Reed, I know everything about her and her family. She is not someone you or any vampire should fraternise with, she’s a hunter’ Angelique continued to use powerful magic to create brain aneurisms to keep Christian on his knees , they were exceedingly painful but they wouldn’t be fatal since he’d heal too quickly. ‘But since I care so deeply for you Christian I am willing to offer you a deal…’ she halted the agonising brain aneurisms so that Christian could take a seat and recover ‘I will leave and allow you to be with whomever you choose and pretend that our marriage never happened. It will be as though when you killed me I remained dead. If…’ ‘if what?’ Christian interrupted her causing her to shoot another painful brain aneurism at him ‘please don’t interrupt. As I was saying I’ll do that… if you help me locate the only weapon that can kill me and kill any hunters that we encounter’ she offered. ‘But how do you know who the vampire hunters are? Christian attempted to catch her out.

Angelique kneeled before him with a proud smile on her face ‘well, being a witch I can sense people’s auras and by the various colours and intensities I can tell what species they are and since I’m also a vampire I have the ability to read people’s minds so I can find out what their agendas are.’ ‘You’re a hybrid! But wait vampires can’t read people’s mind when that person is wearing Larkspur’ Christian leaned forward so that his and Angelique’s faces were a mere inch away from each other. ‘I’m half witch so I was born with the ability of telepathy, the vampire part only makes it easier to decipher what I’m reading in their heads. So whether they’re wearing Larkspur or not they can’t hide from me’ her voice was merely a whisper and a small smile tugged at the corners of her lips.

Christian gazed into the eyes of the woman he had once loved more than anything in the world, but where love, dedication and happiness once glistened and bloomed there was only cold, icy pools of lilac emptiness there now. He pulled away and reclined in his chair ‘no I don’t think I will help you, you’re supposed to be dead so I think I’ll carry on thinking that you are’ Angelique angrily rose to her feet and loomed over Christian as he gazed up at her, she looked squarely into Christian’s icy blue eyes before reciting her vow from 300 years ago ‘if I cannot have you then nobody will… You have just thrown away your only chance of getting the woman you apparently love...’ she began to walk towards the spiralling staircase before she paused at the foot of the stairs and as she glanced over her shoulder ‘oh and by the way…happy anniversary Christian. 374 years of marriage’ and with that she climbed the ornate wooden staircase with intricate marble bannisters that her fingertips brushed over as if they were feathers.