Chapter 18 - The World Is Full Of Loopholes

*Chapter 18 – The World Is Full Of Loopholes*

‘What?!’ Christian asked with genuine shock and confusion; ‘I’m pregnant. I’ve just had a vision of my deer spirit saying that she was expecting a new edition; we’re the same person so when something happens to her it happens to me as well’ Angelique analysed in a calm voice as she continued to stare into the shimmering flames. ‘Angel are you sure? I mean, vampires can’t procreate so if you are pregnant then how has it happened?’ Christian ran his hand over her back, Angelique thought for a moment before her deer’s spirit linked with her mind and explained ‘nature always has a loophole. There must be a hybrid of a living thing; and both must consume the blood of the other to counterbalance the un-dead state’ Angelique’s entranced voice echoed although Christian looked at her with one eyebrow raised ‘and that all means what?’ ‘Basically since I’m a witch, vampire hybrid I’m still half alive. When we share blood your blood becomes neutralised by mine and gives you some human qualities back, which in this case is the ability to have children. Technically I can have children with anyone as long as I don’t lose the witch side of me’ Angelique gazed at Christian’s confused face ‘oh right’ was all that Christian could manage to say. A bittersweet smile hugged Angelique’s lips.

Christian grinned back at her then threw his arms around her neck, she coiled her arms around his waist and chastely kissed his cheek, then in a very cliché move Christian gently placed his hand on Angelique’s stomach and was very surprised when he felt a very hard kick against his hand. Christian pulled away ‘how far are you exactly?’ ‘I don’t know… hang on, I know a spell that can help us find out’ she remembered. Angelique placed her hands on her stomach and began reciting a spell then suddenly her face dropped when she learnt the answer ‘so?’ Christian prompted ‘three days’ she whispered. ‘Three days? But the baby wouldn’t be that well, formed yet’ Christian stared at her stomach ‘it’s our blood’ Angelique whispered ‘come again’ Christian prompted ‘when we hurt ourselves the wound heals in a matter of seconds due to our super healing blood right? So what if the blood is making our baby grow really fast’ Angelique suggested ‘if that’s true then the pregnancy won’t be as long as a normal one, so you could be having it in just a few months’ Christian explained to which Angelique smiled a loving smile at the man she loved.

Back at 43 Auburn Street…

‘Elizabeth what are you doing, you’re supposed to be meditating’ Jonah scolded when he saw Elizabeth flicking through one of her many battered old spell books, ‘I’m doing some research. Besides I’ve spent the entire morning being a crow, there’s only so many times I can eat a worm without wanted to be sick’ Elizabeth only glanced up once from the page that she was reading from. ‘What could you possibly be researching?’ Jonah leaned against a door frame ‘a device that can kill an immortal witch vampire hybrid’ Elizabeth still didn’t look up. ‘I thought that it was only your blood line that were immortal witches’ Jonah noted; ‘that’s correct’ Elizabeth finally glanced up with a vicious expression on her face but Jonah just looked at her with confusion etched until realisation hit him like a tonne of bricks. ‘Angelique Bouchard is my sister’ Elizabeth confirmed his thoughts. ‘But why do you want to kill your own sister? I only sent you to kill Christian’ Jonah enquired, ‘I blame her for my mother’s death. One of Angelique’s spell went wrong and it cost my mother her life; then a year later my father died of a broken heart’ Elizabeth hung her head down as a tear escaped her eye.

Jonah sat beside his wife and placed his arm around her shoulder only to realise that he couldn’t feel her and she couldn’t feel him due to his ghostly state. ‘What’s the device that can kill her anyway?’ he attempted to change the subject ‘Veronica’s bracelet is the main piece of the device, the other is somewhere on Angelique’s body but I have no idea what it is. All I know is that it has some kind of Bleeding Rose Crystal on it’ showed Jonah the torn page with part of the device on it. ‘Is there something that she wears all the time and doesn’t take off that could have a Bleeding Rose Crystal in it?’ Jonah flicked through the pages ‘nail polish, lipstick, a locket… the locket! It has a rose on it’ Elizabeth suddenly exclaimed ‘what’s so special about a rose?’ Jonah was confused by her sudden outburst ‘it’s our coat of arms. The rose has a Bleeding Rose Crystal in the middle of it, and look at this page… it has a rose on it, I thought it was just a doodle but it’s not. This is the missing part of the key, it can be detached from the locket and placed into the slot in the bracelet’ Elizabeth exclaimed excitedly.

Elizabeth’s enthusiasm made Jonah smile although within seconds he began to fade because she wasn’t thinking about him since her attention was diverted to the battered old spell book. Just then Veronica entered the room and transformed out of her fox form and into her human one ‘what’s happened.’ ‘We’re attacking the hybrid and vampire tonight. I’ve found the missing piece of the device’ Elizabeth enthused before explaining to Veronica what she had previously explained to Jonah. ‘But we can’t control our animal forms long enough to find them, get the device and use it against them’ Veronica insisted ‘I’ve been working on a spell to neutralise Angelique’s current spell. I know where about’s the cabin is so all you need to do is get into the cabin, grab the locket and get out. I’ll be outside casting the spell then we’ll kill them both once and for all’ Elizabeth grinned wickedly. Veronica nodded her head in understanding.

Elizabeth memorised the spell from the battered old spell book before closing her eyes and imagining charcoal black feathers clawing their way through her skin, with a loud screech she rose into the air before perching on the mantelpiece above the blazing fire with her ebony bird eyes watching her daughter. Veronica watched in wonder before also closing her eyes and waiting for the red fur to grow and cover her body; once she was fully transformed into her fox form she sat quietly on the fluffy rug waiting for her mother to make the first move. Eventually Elizabeth swooped down from the mantelpiece and out of the back door with Veronica sprinting in hot pursuit; the two of them ran and flew for the entire duration of the journey into the forest where the concealed log cabin was located ‘couldn’t we have driven here’ Veronica asked breathlessly through a mind link ‘no it would have made too much noise. Now quickly go inside and get the locket’ Elizabeth perched in the tree overlooking the log cabin. Veronica slunk silently into the log cabin and peered around, she rushed upstairs to where Angelique and Christian were lying asleep in each other’s arms; Angelique was nuzzled against Christian’s chest which made it easier for Veronica to unhook the catch of the locket from around Angelique’s neck.

Once the locket had been safely removed, Veronica rushed downstairs and out of the back door. She handed it over to Elizabeth who clutched it tightly within her claws she then began to chant a spell which caused the once concealed log cabin to become visible again for all to see. With that Elizabeth smiled and her and Veronica slipped away into the shadows to wait for the perfect opportunity to destroy both Angelique and Christian.