Chapter 2.

One week has passed and it is now Christmas Eve. My godmother was baking and cooking some traditional food. Even though we didn't have any other relatives here my godmother's friend would invite us over to have dinner for any holiday.

As always my godmother made some treats that we loved so much. It was almost 6 PM when she finished with all the food and she packed it all up so we could take it with us. All she needed to do was to get ready.

"Your parents sent you a letter. It's on the counter mija." She said while going upstairs.

Let's see what they want now. I never understood why I kept contact with them.

I picked up the envelope , it was just a plain envelope that had my name printed in cursive. I opened the envelope and there was money and a letter. Not caring about the money I took out the letter and started reading it.

Monse,

Just know that we love you so much. And we didn't want any of this to happen, but it happened and we have to pay the price for this. Your brother killed a Gutierrez.

Be careful

What does this have to do with me ? And what are they talking about paying the price?! A lot of questions were playing in my head. Are they dead ? They couldn't be. Why do I need to be careful? I didn't do not one thing.

"Estas bien?" My godmother asks.

I nod. Smiling at her. "There is about a thousand dollars in here." I say handing her the envelope with just the money in it. The letter was folded in the back of my pocket. My godmother couldn't see it, she will get all worried. She smiles at me and puts it in her purse.

"Let's go." She grabs the car keys while I got the bag of food.

The car ride was an hour. Her friend lived in a small town while we lived in the city. I was scrolling past Facebook, letting the time pass quickly, and to keep my mind off of that letter.

We finally got to her house. It wasn't a big house but it was well kept and she had money. We greet her and some other people that are with her.

"Monse! How much you've grown!" Last time I saw her was the Fourth of July. Hopefully I haven't grown much.

"Doña Marie, how are you?" I ask. Hugging her. She was so friendly and easy to get along with. She was around her 50's but looked so young.

"Muy bien." We entered the house and I set the bag of food down.

"What did you make this time Luisa?" Mrs. Lopez asked.

"Thought we could have some tamales. Salsa verde." My godmother said smiling.

"Sit down. We are just waiting for a few family of mine. They're always late." She rolled her eyes while sighing.

After the dinner we were waiting for it to be 12 AM so the kids would open their presents. They were so excited. They would run around the house checking every 5 minutes at the clock to see what time it was.