chapter 20

(Ringo) 

We run out into the water In our slacks and dress shirts. Dylan throws his jacket on the beach and I run after him. Once we're deep enough I know he won't get hurt I jump on his back. "Richard you nearly drowned me!"

"Never Apple Pie." I stand up and kiss him putting my fingers through his hair. I feel his fingers going through my belt loops pulling me closer. "I love you. Do you things will be okay for us?'

"I don't know... there's going to be a lot of hate but... a lot of love."

"A lot of making love too." He pushes on my shoulder and I fall back into the water. "Race you out to the waves."

"You're on Nose." I start swimming out into the ocean, "Ouch!" I stand up and look back and see Dylan struggling.to stay afloat. I swim to him as fast as I can and take him into my arms, holding him on the surface of the water.

"What happened?" 

"I stepped on a rock. Be careful drummer boy. I don't want you to..." His words are washed out by a strong wave washing over our heads. I feel him taken from my arms and I am pushed down, I try to come up for air but another waves comes and I feel a sharp pain in my head as something sharp hits my temple. The last words I hear before complete darkness, my baby boy screaming, "Ringo!"

(Dylan)

  "Don't do this to me! Ringo! Wake up!"  I scream dragging my drummer boy onto the sand. "Please...not today." I never learned CPR...I don't know how to save my boy. "Help!"

 Suddenly prudence is over Ringo. "Paul hold Dylan." She says as she starts blowing air into his lungs. She presses on his chest and listens for a heartbeat. I feel my body go weak and I collapse into Pauls chest. He wraps his arms around me.

"It's okay... He's going to be okay."  Then Ringo starts coughing and all of the water from his lungs escapes his mouth.  Paul lets go of me and I rush to Ringo putting his head on my lap. I brush my fingers through my hair. 

"Richard... are you alright." 

"Now I know for sure I prefer kissing boys. No offence Pru." She laughs and hugs Paul. Then George and John walk up to us holding towels. "We should go inside then eh? Sorry to be a drag but I have a pounding headache." I help him inside and start cleaning the cut on his head. 

"This is going to sting like a bitch." I say putting an alcohol soaked cloth to his head, he flinches. "I don't think you need stitches but there's going to be a scar." I look at my boy sitting on the bathroom counter and start crying. "I thought I was going to loose you." 

"I thought so too...But you didn't I'm right here, and I will always be right here." 

"But I won't be..." I say remembering my letter. "I need to go home." Just then a nock on the door tears me from my thoughts of war.

"Dylan Pal, it's your mum." George says handing me the phone. Ringo looks at me with sad eyes.

"Mom?"

"You and Ringo huh? When dad told me I hardly believed it. You're on the cover of a magazine."

"Already? The party was only...." I look at the clock on the wall. Its already one in the afternoon. "Oh... Times been going so quickly. Yes mom, I'm with Ringo. I'm sorry if that makes things hard for you and dad." Ringo pulls me closer and puts his head on my chest. 

"No honey... I'm happy for you. The service men not so much. I got a letter saying they made a mistake and sent the original drafting letter to the wrong address. You don't have to come home...at least not right away. I can't wait to meet that boy of yours. Maybe you'll finally learn how to play the drums."

"Yeah... I can't wait for you to meet him either." 

"I better go, it's getting late and your dad's expecting dinner when he gets home. I love you cherry." 

"I love you too, by mama." I hang up the phone and smile widely and Ringo.

"Did she call you cherry?" 

"I had really round and red cheeks when I was little... That's beside the point. They revoked my draft letter. I'm safe... at least for a little while longer." He wraps his legs around me and kisses me deeply, I feel his tongue entering my mouth. "You remember what you said about making love this year? How about we start now." I say unbuttoning his shirt. He rips mine and buttons go all over the bathroom floor. I start laughing and I feel his hands run down my chest to my pants, undoing my belt. 

I feel Ringo jump off the counter and push me against the wall. He kisses my neck and goes lower and lower until... My body tightens as i feel his mouth around me. "Ringo..." He removes his mouth and stands up kissing me. His fingers digging into my back. "I love you so much."