Prologue

Emilia refused to look at the small device that would determine whether her life was going to turn on its head or not. She was standing pathetically in a stall in one of the many public restrooms in New Orleans, her hands trembling as she thought about the consequences of her actions. If she could go back in time and fix what she did, she would do it in a heartbeat. If she thought what was true was in fact correct, she feared for what the future held.

She knew she had been standing in the stall for too long when someone angrily hit their fist against the wooden door of the stall, shouting at her to hurry on. She jumped in surprise and nearly dropped the device in her hands. Still, she refused to look at and could only think back to that fateful night. What had she been thinking? She hadn't, that was the problem. It wasn't meant to be anything but a one-night stand, a night she would look back on and laugh about it. She wasn't laughing now.

She took a deep and long breath and opened her big green round eyes. She avoided looking at her hands and instead pretended to be interested with the graffiti written on the walls. Apparently Amy loved Connor.

She rolled her eyes at herself and forced herself to look down at the device. She winced at the positive sign on the pregnancy test. That was the fourth positive.

A frustrated shout left her throat and she slapped the wall to her left in frustration, ignoring the complaints that grumbled in annoyance. God, she was so screwed. Haley was going to kill her when she found out.

She grabbed her bag and swung open the stall door, flicking her finger at the woman who was about to throw abuse at her for taking so long in the stall and flung the pregnancy test into the bin before entering the busy tourist-ridden streets of New Orleans. She pulled the sunglasses that were sitting on top of her head down over eyes and tucked a stray piece of her dark hair behind her ear as she walked through the throngs of tourists, ignoring the fact that there was a small human being growing inside her.