Prologue

Prologue

"Who are you?" The little girl asked, clutching her teddy bear to her chest. Her bedroom door was closed, but her star night little shown brightly in the room. She tilted her head to the side as she studied the little boy in front of her. "Are you the angel my mommy tells me about?"

The little boy titled his head. His eyes were pitch black and his skin was pale. He crawled on top of the little girls bed and sat by her feet. His mouth was slightly agape and the girl watched in amazement as his eyes changed from black to gray.

"What's an angel?" The boy asked curiously. The girl let out a giggle and the boys eyes flew up. The little girl reminded him of the people in his world, yet he knew she was completely different.

"You know, they live in heaven and watch over us and protect us." The girl said as the boy hesitantly crawled closer to her and sat next to her. She intrigued him and he didn't know why. "My Nana's an angel."

"What's heaven?" The boy asked yet another question. He tucked his feet underneath him, his mouth slightly agape as he watched her. She is weird, he thought as he listened to her speak.

"It's a place where you go when you can't stay here any more." The girl said. "It's in the sky and is suppose to be beautiful. That's where my Nana is."

The little boy didn't understand how a place could be in the sky, but then again he didn't understand anything this girl was saying.

"You're weird," The boy laughed and she giggled in response.

"You're weirder." The little girl retorted and she held out her hand for him to shake. "I'm Francesca but my mommy and daddy calls me Frannie."

The boy looked down at her hand and hesitantly stretched out his own. Instead of taking her hand in his, he grasped her forearm, shaking it. They both gasped and jerked away from each other as a shock passed between them. It made the girl giggle and the boy furrow his eyebrows. That never happened when he shook forearms with his people.

"I'm Kaiden." The boy smiled. "I like your name, Fran-nie."

Frannie laughed as Kaiden said her name. It was like he has never heard that name before and was testing it out on his tongue.

"I like yours-" Frannie began, but was cut off by Kaiden's surprising gasp. His eyes went black and his tiny hands balled into fist. Frannie's eyes went wide and she was going to speak when Kaiden went back to normal.

"I have to go now, Frannie." Kaiden said and hopped off her bed. Frannie threw off her blanket and dropped her teddy bear on top of it.

"But you're my new friend, you can't go." Frannie cried out and Kaiden's gray eyes went wide.

"We're friends?" Kaiden asked and Frannie nodded her head frantically. Kaiden smiled and let out a laughed. "That makes me happy."

"Me too." Frannie gave him a toothy smile and he laughed more. "Are you going to come back?"

"Yes, Frannie, I will." Kaiden said.

"Pinkie promise?" Frannie held out her pinkie and Kaiden stared at it in confusion. Leaning forward, Frannie took Kaiden's hand and wrapped his pinkie around her own. "This is a pinkie promise. You must not break this promise. Ever. Pinkie promise me."

Throwing his confusion out the window, he held her pinkie tight in his own.

"I...pinkie promise to come back. I...pinkie promise not to break this promise." Kaiden said as they shared once last smile before he left from where he came. Underneath her twin bed.

Kaiden never did return to his new found friend, Frannie. Kaiden broke his promise and as time went on, Frannie forced herself to think of his presence as a dream.

a/n:

If you have read my other stories, you'll know this is completely different from them. With that said, please give me feedback on what you think so far and how this book, in your opinion, will do.

This story is also dedicated to three people:

cuppa_harry for believe in me and making me feel good about myself and my writing

kaaskola for being my best friend, giving me the passion to write, and for making me a better person each day

_salacious for saying what I needed to hear, even though you might not know what that was lol

Thank you ladies so much. You guys all mean the world (worlds) to me.

I hope you all like this story!!!

~ Nance