being friends

Akashi paused a bit as he was entering the school gate when he noticed a familiar head a few meters ahead from him.

Misaki had headphones on. She was stretching out a yawn as she walked. There was a certain air of carelessness in her whole demeanor that was unlike the prim and proper ladies of the school.

++++++++++++++++++++

"Oh, I think that I found myself cheerleader. She's always right there when I need her."

A tap on her shoulder and she was more than surprised to find Akashi behind her.

"Morning."

"Good morning, Misaki-chan."

"Don't add a -chan to my name. Feels like I need to put my hair in a pigtail and skip rope."

"Then you should call me Seijuro."

"Are you nuts? Your fans are going to kill me if they hear me try to act familiar with you."

"I didn't think you were the type to get scared by a few fans."

"If they were people from the Bronx, I wouldn't give a rat's ass. But your fans are, like, high class. They're delicate little cornstalks. And my uncle said he'd burn my manga collection if I injured any of them. Including you. Which is ridiculous. You've got more muscle than me. I mean, I'm not a bad guy. Do I look like a bad guy?"

"Cornstalks?" Akashi gave her a weird look.

"It was the only food I could think of that had hair." She shivered. "Okay, we've talked long enough. Your fans are trying to bore through my back with their eyes. See you later, Akashi."

"See you later, Misaki. Careful on the stairs."

"Don't jinx me, you dork." She said as she ran up to the second floor.

Later that day, the Rakuzan team noticed his subtle light mood.

"Did something good happen, Sei-chan?"

He answered his team mates with a small amused smile and a shake of his head.

+++++++++++++++++++

Akashi,

Do you have a guy on your team with weird girly fish lips?

Akashi raised a brow at the message he received. It was an unregistered number but somehow he knew who it was.

Misaki,

Good evening.

Yes, I have. That's Reo Mibuchi. Why do you ask?"

Dude,

I think he's stalking me. Make him stop. I almost shot him.

Misaki,

Why do you have a gun with you?

Dude,

I have no idea what you're talking about. Bye!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It's been a couple of months Akashi got himself engaged. Surprisingly, he hasn't found anything to complain about. His fiancée turned into one of his close friends. True, they rarely talk at school but they often called each other and he found it nice. She had a wicked sense of humor. But she was quick witted. And wasn't afraid of him. Which was a first.

Momoi invited him to her birthday. He had no doubt that the rest of the GoM were also invited.

On the day, he was surprised to find Misaki in Momoi's house. She was dressed all in black and she dyed her hair gray.

"Save me." She looked at him she tried to fend off Momoi who shoving a dress on her.

"Happy birthday, Momoi."

Momoi accepted his large gift and went to place it with the others.

"Thank you. I thought I was a goner. She's very hard to say no to."

Akashi reached out a hand to touch her grey hair.

"New look?"

"I was getting ready for work. I'm dressed as Cloud from Final Fantasy. Momoi may have bribed my boss to get me to come here. They still think you're crushing on me?"

Akashi didn't need to look to see Momoi eyeing them both.

"Apparently."

"She has way too much free time on her hands. Does she have a boyfriend? I bet I could find her a boyfriend." She paused. "What's her type?"

"What makes you think I know that?"

She gave him a pointed look.

"She's like a sister to me."

She didn't let up with the look.

"She likes Tetsu. Always have since middle school.'

"I think I could work with that. What's her childhood friend like?"

"Daiki? He's a great athlete. She's always taking care of him."

"Is he that hopeless?"

"No. He's just a slacker. Doesn't care about anything besides basketball."

He watched her think. She smiled at nothing in particular before smoothing it out into her usual smile.

Momoi grabbed them both and dragged them to the party.