beyond her

Out of the blue, the Top 10 basketball teams and their coaches were invited to stay in a private villa for a week by a very wealthy couple who donated a large amount of money to their respective schools.

The teams arrived one after the other by bus. Every team occupied a house big enough to house several dozen people. There were several courts around the island and a lot more things to do. The night the day they arrived, there was a party. Being mostly underage, they were given non alcoholics to drink.

Being boys, there were chaos. But the chaos caused by the most rambunctious bunch (Kagami, Kise, Aomine, Takao) were halted when a group of girls came. Akashi was more than surprised to see his fiancée among them.

"Akashi-kun, isn't that Misa-chan from that maid café? What is she doing here?" Momoi asked the red head.

Akashi shook his head and watched. There was something different about Misaki. It wasn't because she was wearing a dress.

"Misa-chi, looks so bad ass."

He turned his attention away towards Kise who looked like he was trying to keep his voice quiet but failing.

He stared after the girls again. The blonde was right. She looked edgy and confident. She broke off from the main group and went to the buffet. He would have missed it if he wasn't staring, the briefest eye contact and an imperceptible nod.

"Misa-chan!"

Momoi's voice carried over towards the buffet. Akashi saw the briefest tension in her shoulders before she relaxed when Momoi glomped her.

"Misa-chan! It's so good to see you!"

"Momoi-san... You look great!"

"Misa-chi!"

Akashi watched as Kise and Momoi drag Misaki over to them.

Momoi introduced her to the basketball teams. One of Kise's team mate tried to hit on her but she merely deflected the attention to Momoi.

"It's been nice meeting everyone but I have to go. Excuse me." She said as she made her way to the adults. She went to stand behind an older gentleman. A man in his late 50s. All through the night, Akashi watched her and she never strayed from that man's side.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Go join your friends."

Misaki gave her employer a side long glance. But she said nothing.

"I am allowing you to have fun."

"Not part of the job, sir." She said as she kept in stride. Showing her sentimental side was very dangerous.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

4 days has passed since the last time Akashi saw Misaki. He hasn't seen a glimpse of her since then. He wasn't worrying but he was curious. What was she doing there? Where was she? Who was that gentleman she was with?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It was their last dinner when Misaki and that gentleman showed up. She was standing right behind him as dinner was served. She looked eerily like the bodyguards of the people who were sitting with the old gentleman.

There were boisterous laughter coming from that table.

The table Rakuzan was on was quiet. They could sense their captain was not in the mood for any idiocy. He looked angry and deep in thought. Not the best combination.

She suddenly tapped the shoulder of the old gentleman and murmured something to him.

He gave her a swift shake of the head. A quick nod was all she did before stepping back.

Dessert was being served when the lights suddenly flickered out. When it came back on, someone was holding a gun to Misaki's head.

Screams from the women and panic from the men.

The old gentleman was nowhere.

"Who the fuck are you? Where is Burton?" The gunman demanded releasing his hold on the girl.

"Mr. Burton is currently unavailable. If you'd like, I could give him your message."

People were being escorted out. Akashi had to be dragged out.

As the doors closed, they heard a gunshot go off.

The door opened. Misaki threw the knocked out culprit at the guards that arrived, muttering about losing a bet.

"One of your guards is tied up by the port. He was the inside man. Bring a chain saw. Please, excuse me."

One of the guards tried to grab unto her shoulder but she held his wrist.

"Tend to the guests." She said as she walked away.

"Misa-chin is really bad ass."

"Ballroom clear. Heading to Rendevouz point Juno." She took a bottle of champagne from the table.

"Hey, where are you going?" One of the old rich men asked.

"I need to find my boss. And something a lot less..." She motioned to herself. "Airy."

She went out the kitchen door, snagging a shrimp on the way.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

That morning, they boarded a ferry towards the main land. Most of the adults were on a separate boat.

A chopper suddenly appeared from the island while they were midway in the ocean. And someone fell from it.

Their boat quickly stopped and threw a lifeline to help.

"Misa-chan!"

Akashi could feel his blood run cold at the sight of his friend.

Her clothes was soaked. She was also bleeding. There were parts of her clothes that were cut up.

"Hand me your radio." She ordered one of the crew.

"Tobias, I need a lock on my phone. Call all available teams. Get me a bird and eyes on the island. This isn't a drill. I want the whole 9 yards."

She hissed as one of the onboard paramedic began stitching her up.

"Shall I notify Crow?"

Misaki looked pained at the question.

"Yes. Call me on this line as soon as it gets done."

"What happened, Misa-chan?"

She shook her head at Momoi.

"Do you happen to have an antidote for rattlesnake venom?" She asked the medics.

"No. But we have from the harbor."

"Good. Tell the Captain to speed this thing up. I've been bitten half an hour ago. I'll go to cardiac arrest in the next hour, if I'm lucky."

10 minutes after they fished her out, she went under. Momoi was actually crying when Misaki just slumped and wouldn't respond. 5 minutes away from the port, Misaki went into cardiac arrest.

She was taken by the already waiting ambulance.

When they asked what hospital they were taking her, not one of the EMTs had an answer.

They tried calling all of the hospitals but no report came about a teenage girl.