three

Violet had grown accustomed to falling asleep when the sun went down, and waking when it rose

Violet had grown accustomed to falling asleep when the sun went down, and waking when it rose. And that's exactly what she did with the company of the two men.

Her brain felt foggy in the few brief seconds of waking up and not remembering the events of the previous day.

She looked around in the dim light, only seeing the blonde man, Merle, passed out, leaning against a log.

She looked around for the other man. No where in sight.

It's now or never she told herself. She could leave and no longer feel like a captured animal.

She tip toed over to the blonde, gently pulling a gun out of his limp hands.

She tucked it into the small of her back and looked around once more. No sign of the brunette.

Disappearing into the thick cover the foliage offered, she felt at home again, and oddly, the safest she had felt in days.

As much as she wanted to run, just bolt away, she knew the sound of branches snapping under the weight of her feet could alert Daryl in his unknown whereabouts.

She ventured deeper into the woods, sunlight breaking through the crevices of the treetops. The Georgia heat was already starting to get to her. A thin layer of sweat beaded up on her skin.

The sound of bugs humming filled her ears. Their melodic sound was interrupted by voices. Familiar voices.

"I'm telling you, they didn't leave hardly any tracks. The tracks they left lead this way."

"Bullshit. You have no idea where they went."

"Who's wise idea was it to let those two inbred brothers watch after her anyways?"

"Shit." Violet muttered to herself.

"You hear that?"

"Fuck." Violet cursed at herself.

She wanted to scream when a hand covered her mouth, another hand on her stomach, pulling her backwards, into the cover of a bush.

The group of men that had held her captive ventured closer and closer until they were standing exactly where Violet had been before.

She could feel her heart beating rapidly, ready to burst straight out of her chest. She was sure her breathing was heavy, and wondered how it didn't give away her hiding spot.

The men argued, eventually heading towards the camp she had left Merle at.

A moment passed after the men had moved along before the hand covering her mouth finally moved.

Out of the bushes, she stood face to face with Daryl.

"Where you think you're going?" He questioned her.

"Look you and your brother seem like nice people. I'm just a solo kind of person. I do better on my own." She told him, taking a few steps away.

"No one wants to be alone. Who are you looking for?" He questioned her, closing the space between them.

"My dad. And my brother." She answered honestly and started kicking herself mentally over it.

This man is a stranger. And now he knows personal information.

"What makes you think they're still alive?" He asked.

What a blunt question.

"I have to believe in something." She answered again honestly.

"How's about you believe in me. And Merle. And we'll see about finding that family of yours." He offered.

"Why would you do that for me? You don't know me." She spoke warily.

"Put out to the world what you want returned to you?" He answered her.

"And what do you want in return for this from the world?" She asked quizzically.

On the outside, he looked like an attractive, tough and rough guy who would get the job done. But she saw a spark in him as he spoke that told her that there was much more to him than the rugged exterior.

"Don't really know 'bout that yet. Jus' think that if you do good, good'll come back to you." He answered her.

"My family very well could be dead. You want to waste your time on that?" She pushed.

"Damn woman, just let me help you." He muttered.

"That's the thing, I don't like accepting help, from anyone, ever." She answered him frankly.

"Well guess what sweetheart, the world ended. And no one can face this shit alone. You're with us now."