six

"So Violet, tell me, where were you when Shane left with Lori and Carl?" An older man named Dale asked Violet across the small fire the entire group was gathered around.

"I was at the police academy, training to become an officer just like my dad, when it all went to shit. When I heard the news about my father getting shot, I tried to get home as soon as I could. By the time I got back to our little town, the hospital looked over run. And the house was abandoned. I was on my own until Daryl and Merle helped me get out of some trouble." Violet explained to them.

Violet was a fairly confident person, but knowing all eyes were on her, and everyone was listening made her uncomfortable.

"I'm so sorry we left without you..." Lori practically muttered.

"I'm sure you didn't have any other options." Violet mumbled to her.

"Thank you for helping her." Shane said, looking at the Dixon brothers.

"It's our pleasure." Merle said, licking his lips. Violet appeared to be the only one to notice his small action.

"What about you three?" A woman named Andrea asked, looking at Stone, Santana, and Jett.

"We were um all together when things went down. Stuck together, just came across our old friends, the Dixons, and Vi." Santana answered her.

The chatting around the fire continued, the conversation finally not oriented on how all of them came together. Conversation was more absent minded and cordial.

There were a few spare tents, Merle and Daryl rooming in one together, Santana, Jett, and Stone in one, and Violet rooming with Carl and Lori.

One by one, people surrounding the fire dwindled away, each going to bed. Eventually it was just Violet and Daryl left sitting by the fire.

"You guys aren't going to try anything, are you?" Violet asked him quietly.

"No. I wasn't really that on board with looting anyways." Daryl answered her.

"Hah, seemed like you were just fine with it before." Violet remarked.

"If I wasn't all gung-ho about it Merle would have called me a pussy." He replied.

"Yeah, he would have." She chuckled.

The two sat in an uncomfortable silence for a moment. The sound of embers burning and cicadas humming filled their ears.

"What do you think about all of this?" Violet abruptly asked.

"Don't know. Six was a crowd for me. This is gonna take some getting used to." He answered her.

"So you plan on staying?" She questioned.

"Wouldn't dream of leaving your ass behind." She could feel him smirking as he spoke.

"Good. I may not know you very well Dixon, but I can't imagine living in this world without seeing you & Merle's faces everyday." She was grateful the night sky was hiding the fact her cheeks flushed a bright red as she spoke.

A silence grew between them again, only to have to broken by Daryl this time.

"Violet, I'm sorry about your Dad."

"Don't be. It's not your fault. I should have gotten to the hospital faster. It's my fault." She shook her head.

"It ain't your fault. Don't blame yourself for it, sunshine. It was just a shitty time of events is all." He said, trying to comfort her, something that felt foreign to him. He took a seat closer to her as he spoke.