[3] TICKETS

"Ash, we were supposed to get Subway, where'd you go?" Calum's voice comes muffled through the phone, followed by the distinct and obnoxious sound of him chewing.

Ashton smiles, scrunching up his eyebrows. "It sounds like you're already there."

"I am," Calum says, then swallows his food. "But you were supposed to be here with me."

While sandwiching his cellphone between his ear and shoulder, Ashton takes off his seat belt and opens his car door.

"Next time, I promise. I just thought of some stuff to do and I had to take off early." He explains, stepping out of his car.

Everyone at work had gotten, what their boss liked to call, a Christmas-in-July bonus before their lunch break. It wasn't much, but today was also pay day, giving Ashton a little over a thousand dollars to play with.

Most of his money usually goes to bills, but this month he's all caught up--for the most part--and can do a bit of celebrating.

Ashton isn't sure exactly what he's celebrating, but he is sure which two people he wants to include in the celebration.

"Alright. If we don't go next time I'm gonna kick your--"

"Yeah, yeah, I know. See ya, Cal." Ashton chuckles, quickly ascending to the second floor.

Calum says his goodbye and Ashton ends the call at the same time he knocks on the door. He really wishes he had a key, but then again, this isn't his place. It's literally not his place nor would it be his place to ask for a key, so he retires the thought.

Mellony opens the door, briefly confused when she sees Ashton. "Hey, what are you doing home so early?"

Ashton almost misses the use of the word home, but doesn't mention it since he can physically see her debate whether she should fix her wording or not.

"I got a bonus!" Ashton yells, holding his arms up. Mellony grins, giggling a little at Ashton's childlike expression.

"Like from work?" She asks, slapping her palms against his for a high-ten.

Ashton holds onto her hands and starts to dance her around her living room. "Where else would I get it?" He playfully responds, smiling down at the girl's laughing face.

This is the only time Ashton's seen her genuinely happy without Neo being involved and he's worried about how much he loves seeing it.

"That's great! What are you gonna do with it?" Mellony feels fancy enough to do a spin, properly lacing their fingers together once she's completed a full turn on her toes.

"I'm gonna take you and Neo to Disney World!" Ashton both cheerfully and loudly answers.

Mellony stops dancing, and moving, tugging her hands from Ashton's. "What?"

"Did I hear Disney World?" Neo's small scream beats him down the hall, but it's not too long after that they see his equally small body sprint into the living room.

Ashton doesn't really notice Mellony's change in mood, beaming at Neo who runs up to him with his arm's open.

"Yeah, Nemo, I'm taking you guys there!" Ashton sweeps the boy up from the ground and settles him on his shoulders.

"Ashton--"

"Yay! Can we see Mickey and Pluto?" Neo's question is barely audible through his giggles as Ashton slightly bounces him with the way he trots across the carpet.

"Wait, Neo, hush for a second, baby," Mellony makes sure not to be interrupted again, reaching a hand out to stop Ashton's movements.

The two calm down, taking in Mellony's more sober demeanor. Ashton lifts Neo from his shoulders and sets him back on his feet.