[9] GLASSES

"Mommy, look, I got a robot arm." Neo proudly displays the messily taped box on his forearm to his mom and then to Ashton. Mellony chuckles, but it's not just any chuckle, it's the one you give to appease and humor your children. She genuinely finds it cute, but the laugh is specifically for the benefit of Neo's ego.

The idea to build a fort blossomed in Neo's mind, when the three of them walked home from the grocery store and stumbled upon a mountain of cardboard. It was easy to carry the tons of boxes, since they came back from the store empty handed. (Apparently, the store owners went on a holiday.)

They'd settled down in the living room, surrounding themselves with masking tape and unfolded boxes and started working on their castle-to-be.

It was an hour ago that they started, and thanks to the Avengers movie Ashton put on, it might take another hour to finish. No one's complaining, but if they were going to simply watch the movie, he'd rather put away the fort supplies and sit on the couch instead of the floor.

Ashton's phone buzzes and falls ungracefully from the coffee table and onto the carpet, next to Mellony. She picks it up for him, then slides it his way, and Ashton furrows his brows at his phone screen.

It's a text from Calum; something about Darcy and bringing Mellony somewhere—he doesn't know, he's really just trying to speed read before the message disappears with the notification screen. Unlocking his phone and opening the text, he reads—at a normal pace—that Calum and Darcy are inviting him and Mellony out to some club.

Ashton finds the idea to be harmless and turns to Mellony to present it.

"Calum and his girlfriend are going out and wanted to know if we were down to tag along." He says, absently handing Neo the long piece of cardboard that he's reaching for.

Mellony quickly removes her eyes from the television and stops them on Ashton. "Like, both of us?"

Ashton shrugs, as if her question doesn't ring a couple of his alarms. Of course, most of his alarms are very irrational and easily triggered.

"Yeah," He answers. Then his train of thought shifts to the little boy to his left. "Oh, right. I'm sorry, I forgot."

Shaking his head, Ashton fixes his grip on his phone to text Calum that Mellony can't come because of the most obvious reason known to man. Considering he grew up with his mom being single and taking care of three kids, he should have remembered all the times she had to decline any and all offers to go out with her friends.

"No, no, I can drop Neo by my mom's. Just for a few hours though."

Mellony tails her words with a reassuring smile. Ashton tentatively lowers his phone, giving her ample time to consider her decision. He doesn't want her to feel like she has to do this; like this is some high school party that she'll be ridiculed for missing.

He wasn't even sure of her relationship with her mother, since she never brought her up much. There's a picture of her and her mother with a baby Neo held between them on the TV stand, so he should have figured they were alright, but still.

"I get to go to Nana's house?" Neo butts in, excitedly throwing his arms in the air. Mellony shoots him a grin.

Ashton tries not to dwell on the fact that this will be the first time him and Mellony will have actual alone time. Granted, Calum and his girlfriend will be there, but they'll most likely end up too preoccupied with each other for their presence to even be noted. Which means, Ashton and Mellony will finally get some one on one time.

"Only if you're sure," Ashton knows he could be pushing her to back out, but he's never been one to quit while he's ahead.

Mellony quirks an eyebrow, gathering the remaining pieces of cardboard and folding them together. "What, you think I can't handle a night out?" She challenges, a playfully mischievous glint in her eyes.