who do you like? || isaac lahey

"Who do you like?"

I looked up from my cereal, my next spoonful suspended in midair.

"Wha?" The sound came out muffled against my mouthful of Cap'n Crunch.

"Who do you like?" Isaac reiterated. "You know, like out of the guys."

I narrowed my eyes in skepticism, alarmed by his sudden query.

"...why do you want to know?"

He shrugged. "I was just wondering."

Isaac rhythmically tapped his fingers on the table, his other hand propping his head up. His eyes twinkled in curiosity.

I'd woken up not even ten minutes ago, barely managing to drag my groggy form out of bed. I wouldn't have even left the warm, cushiony softness had it not been for my agonizing hunger. I just wanted some food, opting for a bowl of cereal instead of trying to assemble an actual meal. That's the kind of simple, minimal-level effort I intended to exert this morning. And now Isaac was asking me questions and making me think. That counts as effort.

"I don't like anyone," I brushed off indifferently.

"Yes, you do," Isaac rolled his eyes.

"Um, no, I don't," I protested.

I was lying through my teeth.

The truth is, I actually did like a boy, a rather tall boy with curly hair and soulful eyes. He was currently sitting across from me, interrogating me about other boys, completely oblivious to the fact that he was the only boy I ever thought about.

But Isaac Lahey was way too good for me and I'd accepted that fact a long time ago. I was just a human, a mere speck compared to him and all his werewolf powers and golden heart.

"I know for a fact that you like someone," Isaac continued, still prodding into my nonexistent love life. "Why else would you have turned Aiden down last week?"

"Are you serious? The only reason Aiden even hit on me was to make Lydia jealous," I scoffed. "They have their little games, you know?"

Isaac nodded thoughtfully. To be honest, I was surprised he even kept up with Aiden's activities. He still hated his guts from the bike prank.

"Fine. Then what about that other guy, Marco? He asked you to prom and you said no."

"Oh, yeah." I chuckled. "Marco was cute."

Isaac's lip turned up slightly, resembling something between a grimace and a snarl. His shoulders also seemed to elevate with tension.

"If he's so cute, then why did you reject him?" he grumbled.

"Oh, I'll tell you why. It's because you like someone else."

"Back up, Lahey. I rejected him because I don't want to go to prom."

With anyone but you, dummy.

"Well, why not? It could be fun. The theme sounds cool, Frozen and all. Plus, everyone else is going..."

"Are you going?" I interrupted, annoyed by his persistence.
Isaac frowned. "I'm not sure yet."

"Why not? It could be fun. The theme... something about Frozen..." I mocked, imitating him from earlier.

He grinned, shaking his head. "What, you don't like Frozen?"

I sighed dramatically. "I can't get into that right now."

"Okay, then," Isaac amusedly snorted. "So, why aren't you going, then? Is it because you're waiting for the guy you like to ask you instead?"

"No," I whined. "I'm not waiting for anyone. I don't like anyone. Besides, even if I did, they wouldn't ask me."