Fran: Rain

It was raining. But then again, it's supposed to rain in England, right? I only wished I'd thought to bring an umbrella. Oh well.

I looked up at the stormy gray sky and pulled my coat tighter around my body. Man, it was cold. Is it like this all the time? I wondered as I headed toward a café, where I could seek shelter. I had come here all the way from Canada because. .

Because I. . got. . bored I guess.

I lived in Cheltenham when I was little, then, when I was 13, I moved to Canada and have stayed there ever since. Well, ever since now, I had been working for a coffee shop and I felt like I was getting in a rut.

So, I packed my bags and I hopped on the plane.

My small suitcase hit a bump in the sidewalk and I jumped a bit, I kind of forgot that I was pulling it along. I looked around at the people dressed in raincoats with the guys wearing big brimmed hats and the girls carrying dainty little umbrellas.

I sighed and looked at the sky again, trying to will it to stop its downpour. Please stop, I silently said to the sky.

No response, just rain. Shoo.

I entered the café slowly and tried not to make eye contact with anyone. I'm a shy person, I don't talk all that much. It felt like all the eyes were on me as my suitcase got caught on a carpet. I stopped and jiggled it until it came loose, then I continued slowly on my way.

"Can, can I just have a small hot chocolate, please?" I said quietly to the guy behind the counter, who passed my order to someone else who made a hot chocolate and held it out to me. I, in turn, paid for it and went to sit on a chair in the corner of the room. I took a piece of paper out of my pocket and found a pencil from my suitcase.

10/12/64

Dear Brian,

I really hope you're going to get this. I'm just going to mail it to your house, or, where I think your house is. It has been something like 9 years. I really hope we can still be friends. You were almost like a brother to me, you were there and I hope you can be here now, cause I've come back. Anyway, when you get this, please write back, I hope we can still be friends!

-Fran

I folded the letter carefully and finished my hot chocolate.

Brian Jones had been my absolute best friend, I'd met him one day when I was young. 5ish, Id say. And I was walking down my street, I was looking for a friend, someone to play with, my mom walked behind me. She told me earlier that she was going to take me over to one of her friend's houses. This house happened to be Brian's house.

"Now you be good, Franny" she warned me as she knocked lightly on the door. I folded my hands together and waited while I looked at the big front door in front of me. The woman who came to the door was very excited and I could tell my mother could tell too. She invited my mom inside and I followed shyly, clutching her hand with one hand while I brushed past the flowers with the other.

"Oh I'm so excited for Franny to meet Brian!" The woman spoke fast and used her hands alot when she spoke, I watched her call Brian and then a small blond head appeared at the side of a doorway. He looked at me with wide eyes. All I could see of him was his head and I giggled a bit, tugging my mom's hand slightly.

He smiled and then turned around and walked to their living room.

I let go and followed, I had a good feeling about this.

"Hullo" Brian said as he saw me following him, "I'm Brian"

I smiled happily and replied with "I'm Franny, but my mum calls me Fran sometimes"