Brian: Café

We walked along as inconspicuous as possible. But it didn't work. Of course it didn't work; our shaggy hair did little to conceal us, but still we persisted in trying. I don't know why, maybe just to try to be normal. It seemed like once we lost our status as faceless, nameless strangers, that's all we wanted to be. To blend into a crowd. To be like everybody else.

Unfortunately, that's not our case.

We are The Rolling Stones.

We would stand out in a large crowd, we have, and we still do. Our long hair, Mick's big lips, Keith and the way he walks. Charlie and Bill blend in a little better, but only because they're older.

I stand out because. . .

because I am me.

I have bright blond hair that I fashion in a bowl cut. People seem to like it anyway, the girls go wild when they see a man can keep his long hair in style. They always say in magazines; "Not a hair out of place!"

"His shiny blond helmet is never mussed up!"

It's like they're trying to sell a product: Come and get him! Brian Jones of The Rolling Stones for sale for only 39.99!

It's terrible to think that way, but what one year of insta-fame can do to a person is crazy. I can only imagine how 2, 3 or even 5 years will change us. Could be positive, could be negative, I have no idea.

I kicked at a stray pebble on the ground and blew out a long breath. It had been raining, but when it stopped, Keith said he was going to go to the café across the street, and that any who wanted to come were free to join.

I was the only taker.

"Penny for your thoughts" Keith mumbled while shoving his hands deep in his pockets.

"Fame" I mumbled back, "and what it does"

He nodded, mulling this over, I guess.

"Fame", he drew out the 'a' and ended on a high note, then whistled a tune.

A tune I hadn't heard before.

He and I turned our heads toward each other and he continued whistling, I took up humming along with him and he smiled, I raised a questioning eyebrow underneath my thick bangs and he answered with, "new tune"

"Ah" I said, smiling into the clouds, searching for a rainbow.

"You, Bill an' Charlie're gunna love, just wait"

I chuckled a bit and looked back at the ground.

Suddenly someone knocked into my shoulder, and dropped her suitcase.

I picked it up and handed it to her with a friendly smile on my face.

She looked at her shoes and accepted the suitcase I held out to her.

"T-t-thanks" she whispered in a small voice before looking up to meet my eyes. Then she tilted her head and studied me, "I, um-" she smiled then, "thanks"

Then she was gone, and rushing off down the sidewalk.

I looked at her for a second longer than normal before turning around, a whisper of a memory swirling around in my head.

A memory of a long time ago.

I shook my head to clear it and found Keith staring at me.

"What?" He smirked, "you recognize that bird?"

I turned around again, but she was gone, "don't think so"

We continued on to the café and went to get a table by the window, "I'll order, you can wait here if you want" Keith said, so, I passed him some money and he disappeared into the small lineup. As I waited, I tapped my hands on my lap, drumming out a solid beat. Two girls looked over from the next table over and smiled, one of them said "hi!" in a really high pitched voice. Flirting, my immediate thought.

Not that it was unwanted, I smiled back and offered a charming "hello" in response. They both laughed and turned towards each other, and I could hear them whisper.

I chuckled softly and wondered if this'll last. Then something caught my eye. A crumpled piece of paper was on the floor. I wouldn't've given it a second thought, much less my full attention, but my name was on it. And the writing looked familiar.

I instinctively reached down and unfolded the paper all the way, pressing it flat against the table and reading silently.

Then, before I could help it, I wrote something underneath;

Fran,

Fran rings bell, a small one, but it's a bell. Nine years, really? Actually nine years? I actually forget if I ever said goodbye, but maybe I can say hello?

Brian

I folded the paper before Keith came back and shoved it deep in my pocket.