Author's Note

Hi there. I'm Robin Spano, a mystery author living in the tiny mountain village of Lions Bay, BC.

I write a series about Clare Vengel—a young, hot-blooded undercover cop who has a lot to learn about life, love, and her job. She's edgy, she's awkward, and I love to spend time with her as she rides her motorcycle from one adventure to the next. Each case leaves her head a little wiser, her heart a little more open, and the chip on her shoulder a little bit smaller.

As a writer, I love to push Clare forward—to challenge her, to throw her curve balls, to watch her grow through experience. I also love to challenge myself on my writing journey.

I'm here on Wattpad with a cool task: to share Clare's first story—Dead Politician Society (2010, ECW Press)—as a serial for free.

The catch—I'm revising as I go. The plot won't change, the structure won't change. But I'm getting deeper inside the characters' heads. Not so deep that it changes the story—this is and always will be a fun, fast read. But I've learned a lot as a writer since this first book hit the shelves—and it feels like a crime to not make use of that as I type in these chapters.

I'm taking feedback from readers who read DPS in its original form. Blog reviewers like Mrs. Q Book Addict and The Kari AnnAlysis who loved each book from the first help me know what to make sure I KEEP in the story. And readers like Steph at Bellas Bookshelves and Kerry Clare at Pickle Me This, who took the time to thoughtfully explain what did work but also what didn't, have helped me figure out what needs enriching.

Mostly, readers liked the quick, short chapters but they wanted more of Clare. They wanted to see inside her head more, feel her motivations. So the biggest part of this edit has been to add more internal monologue for her.

Whether you're new to the series or you read DPS in its original form, I'd love to hear your comments as you read.

Thanks for joining me on Wattpad. Hope you enjoy!

Earlier praise for Dead Politician Society (the original version, published 2010):

"Spano spins an intriguing web...a page-turner...an enjoyable read." - Quill & Quire

"Robin Spano has a real winner on her hands with this first entry into what promises to be a raucous and thrilling new series." - San Francisco Book Review

“A clever, well-plotted murder mystery that introduces a sexy, profane and appealing young cop heroine in Clare Vengel, and entertainingly skewers politics, politicians, and university poli-sci majors alike.” - Kim Moritsugu, author of The Restoration of Emily