Chapter 76: Laura

Susannah stretched her legs under the kitchen table. “I guess I know why you suspected me.”

“You told me the truth.” Laura scrubbed at the counter, but with no vigor. Her eyes weren’t even on the job; they were on Susannah, and covered with mist. “You’ve always told me the truth. I should have believed you.”

Susannah shrugged. “Still doesn’t change the facts you saw.”

A fragment of hope allowed Laura to ask, “Does this mean you’re home to stay?”

“It means I’m not taking any grudges with me when I go.”

Laura set down her scouring pad and let her eyes run the length of Susannah’s long, muscled body. Would she never feel it pressed against her again? “Everything we shared...”

“Was shattered when you didn’t trust me.”

“But I do trust you. Now more than ever.”

“You mean now, when it’s not being tested.”

“Susie, that’s not fair.”

“No? If all the signs pointed toward you sleeping with Penny Craig but you said no you weren’t, that would be enough for me.”

“You’d still have doubt.” Laura thought Penny was a strange example.

“No.” Susannah laughed bitterly. “That’s just it. I wouldn’t have doubt. Even though I should. Because I trust you.”

Laura tossed the pad in the sink and plunked into a wooden chair.

“You’ll be fine.” Susannah reached for Laura’s hand across the breakfast table. “You need to get out in the world and date more, anyway. Between Hayden and me, you’ve never had the free-wheeling single years every thinking woman deserves. But maybe,” she said with a crinkle in her eye, “when you get another girlfriend, try not to accuse her of murder unless she’s guilty.”

Laura couldn’t find a smile.

Susannah took her hand away. Laura bit her lip as she realized it was probably for the last time.

“I’m going upstairs to figure out what else I need to pack. Come if you want.”

“No.” Laura would never hold back her tears if she watched Susannah put her life into a bag. “I have to wash up.”

“Okay. Well, if you need me…”

Susannah bounded up the stairs. Spritely, like she was excited about wherever she was going.

The phone rang. Penny Craig, calling from her desk.

“Laura! Did I catch you at a bad time?”

“Kind of. Susannah’s here. Taking the last of her things.”

“I’m sorry,” Penny said. “Is it awkward?”

“No. Sad, but not awkward.”

“I’ll let you go. But I was wondering if…later on…I mean tonight…you wanted to grab a drink somewhere?”

“Sure. Something more about the case?”

“Nooo.” Penny dragged the word out. “Well…god, this is hard to say.”

Penny didn’t sound like herself.

“What’s hard to say?”

Laura heard Susannah walking around upstairs. She did want to be up there, tears or not. She wished Penny would get to the point.

“I meant that, well, maybe tonight could be…more like…a date?”

“What?!” Laura didn’t know what she felt. “You? Penny Craig from kindergarten? My world is upside-down enough at the moment.”

“Okay. I thought you might say no, but that’s a strong rejection.”

“It’s not a rejection. It’s yes to the drink and who the hell knows to the rest. I’m shocked to find out you’re a lesbian.”

“I thought you knew. Why do you think I’ve never been married?”

“For starters, there’s your acerbic personality.”

Penny laughed. “I love it when you talk dirty.”

Laura ended the call. She had no idea if she liked Penny romantically or not. The shoulder rubs had been nice—and the electricity when Penny had touched her hand. But Laura had been drunk, confused, not herself all week. Any human touch would have felt amazing. Wouldn’t it?

Susannah clomped down the stairs and tossed her large duffel bag down at the front door. “I think that’s everything.”

“You’re done? I was headed up to join you.”

“It’s better this way. Thanks again for the coffee.”

“My god, Susie. Don’t get polite on me.”

“Sorry.” Susannah grimaced. “I’m clearly a bit lost. I’m going to miss you.”