Chapter Three

It was Dylan. Dylan was my mate. The person who had tormented me the most is my mate. My brother was my mate. I briefly wondered how that was even possible but it was too mind boggling to dwell on. I heard a growl closely behind me and I pushed myself to run harder right before I was snatched into a dark room.

There was a hand on my waist and soft lips on mine before I got the chance to say anything. The lust hit instantly. Liquid fire pooled beneath my abdomen and I was set ablaze.

I’d never kissed anyone before but there was no uncertainty in my mind as my hand tangled itself in his hair. As he sucked on my bottom lip, one thing was certain; I couldn’t get enough. We were pressed against each other yet a part of me wanted to get closer still. I wanted to lose myself in this feeling for the rest of my life.

His lips left mine and I whimpered pathetically but they latched onto my neck, nipping softly. My wolf growled in annoyance. She wanted to be the one to mark him.

My hand hit something and suddenly we were flooded in light and the darkness in my mind cleared. I was kissing my brother!

I pushed him away with all my might but only succeeded in putting an inch between us. His lips chased mine and I ducked my head. His eyes were blazing red and when he spoke it was with a growl.

“You will submit.” He had too many teeth.

“You’re my brother,” I yelled. A part of me was still crazed with lust (Deena, Deena, Deena) but I suppressed that part.

My words were like cold water to him as I watched his eyes transform from red to a pale blue. He jumped away from me like he had been burned and started wiping his mouth furiously. My wolf whimpered.

“Oh no,” He raked his hand through his hair. “No, no, no. Fuck!” He yelled, punching a wall behind me. I jumped in fear. “You have got to be kidding me! This has got to be a mistake.” He punched the wall again.

“Yeah, we’re siblings. It’s not possible,” I mumbled to myself. His gaze caught mine in a sharp glare before he dropped the bombshell.

“We’re not siblings,” He deadpanned and my head spun.

“W-what.” He chuckled without humour and I felt fury wash over me. “That's not funny!” I exclaimed.

“No, no it’s not,” he laughed. “I’ve waited a long time to be able to say that. Goddess!” He smirked at me. “Now by some twisted fate we’re mates!” Exasperation rolled off him in waves. “We can’t be. I don’t want you,” He muttered to himself and my heart clenched.

“No,” I whispered already knowing what was coming.

It was my darkest fear coming true. My mate not wanting me. I had hoped! Oh, I certainly had! I had hoped that even if no one wanted me, my mate, at least, would be an exception.

“You’re pathetic. I don’t want to have anything to do with you. As far as I’m concerned, we are not mates and you dare not breathe a word about this to anyone! Do you understand?” He grabbed my shoulders and rattled me.

“Please,” It was a pitiful croak. It was Deena.

“Look at you. You’re so weak, so useless, not fit to be my Luna! It doesn’t matter what you say. No one will believe you anyway.” With that he let me go and I crumbled to the ground like a sack of potatoes.

Sinking to the ground, I cried. Silently at first, then I screamed. I howled and stomped until Clara found me.

No one will believe you.

I couldn’t even tell Clara the cause of my tears. She wouldn’t believe me. No one will believe you. We were siblings. Siblings were not mates. The Moon Goddess forbade it.

No one will believe you.

God that sentence was all too familiar. It was the same thing Bella told me right before I lost consciousness when I was six. It’s the reason most of my childhood memories are a blur.

I can’t remember much but I know I was a problem child. I threw tantrums like they were confetti and I disrespected any and everyone.

Bella was my best friend, the daughter of our beta and she was also Mason's sister. Sometimes I felt she didn’t like me as much as I liked her and her jealousy was not subtle but our families were so close and we were the same age and so I loved her. We were always together.

One day for reasons I can’t remember, we wandered into the woods, farther than our parents ever let us and we met trouble. Huge wolves with violet eyes and bloodied teeth. Rogues.

“I knew we shouldn’t have come here! Bella we have to run!” I remember saying but she didn’t run. She stared, paralysed by fear until I shoved her. She snapped out of it and shoved me back. I fell and twisted my ankle.

“Why did you do that,” I had groaned in pain. The rogues stood kilometres away, puzzled by our drama.

“You pushed me first!” She cried in fright. Her baby blue eyes were blown wide.

“Only to get your attention! I’m going to tell on you!” I had cried.

“No! You can’t! No one will believe you!” I don’t think she meant it but she had been right.

As far as everyone in our pack believed, I had dragged Bella out of our territory trying to escape. I still don’t know what I would have wanted to escape, but I was allegedly trying to and then we had stumbled upon rogues. I had pushed Bella towards the rogues and she had pushed me back before running off. That was her story. I had woken up with a splitting headache and a pack that hated me the next day.

No one will believe you.

Who would believe a tattered and problematic child over a sweet and truthful one? Nobody.

I let a confused Clara drag me out of the janitor’s closet to a hallway full of curious eyes. I let my eyes wander the hall to a far corridor where Bella was wrapped around Dylan. A whimper caught in my throat.

I felt my heart crumble to a million pieces and a single tear slid down my cheek. How could he do that. How could he have his arms around someone else so fast. How could he?

Clara knew something was up. She walked me to class and was waiting when it ended, continually asking what was wrong. My life seemed to move in slow motion as I dragged my feet from class to class. It was lunch before I snapped.

His scent was still in the air but it was tainted by lavender and roses. Bella. Deena was constantly on edge and Clara had to remind me to breathe more than once. I may have looked at a human with my wolf eyes and she freaked out. I couldn’t take it any longer.

“I have to get out of here,” I said as we ate lunch.

“Why? We still have four classes today,” Clara asked in curiosity. It didn’t matter. I was hurting. Deena was whimpering. I couldn’t stand it anymore.

“Meet me in the woods behind the church if you want to watch my shift," It was the outskirt of our pack land. It was also over an hour drive away. I grabbed my bag and I ran.